Home Forum Ask A Member NOS ’57 Evinrude Lark Powerhead & restoration…1st Start up!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    mas
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

First startup of a powerhead assembled from NOS parts during a ten restoration!

New: Block, Crank, pistons, rods, rings, bearing and more. About as close to "off the factory floor" as one might get. All parts were obtained from various places on the internet.

The following link is unedited raw video…enjoy!

Mas

https://youtu.be/oNhgT4VCfLo

Attachments:

bobw
      Participant

US Member

I believe that’s the best looking restoration I’ve ever seen on any OMC motor. Looks right out of the factory box brand new. I think the 1957 Lark and 1957 Golden Javelin were the best looking motors OMC ever produced. Congratulations on a magnificent job – very well done. Bet you were glad when it fired up after all the work you went through!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

🙂 work of art Congrats on your success and choosing a real understanding better halve to let you enjoy your hobby so much 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

chris-p
          Participant

Simply outstanding! Loved the video. Congrats she is a real beauty.

The NOS block was a heck of a find. I have done a few powerheads with complete NOS parts, but have not done one with a NOS block yet. That’s a motor to keep for sure. I have a rack full of rebuilt powerheads in my basement that I could never sell as I have too much money in parts in them. We all know how cheap most of our members are! They are all for one day down the road.

What are your plans for it, will it be going on a boat? It will draw a lot of attention at the ramps!

bobw
            Participant

US Member

Mas,

Maybe a year or two ago, I seem to remember a thread on another site (maybe iboats?) about a 1957 Lark that was rebuilt using all NOS powerhead parts. That thread also had a series of posting showing progress on the motor as it was being restored. By any chance, is yours that same motor?

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

mas
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                quote bobw:

Mas,

Maybe a year or two ago, I seem to remember a thread on another site (maybe iboats?) about a 1957 Lark that was rebuilt using all NOS powerhead parts. That thread also had a series of posting showing progress on the motor as it was being restored. By any chance, is yours that same motor?

Yes…that was my motor…the thread was lost when our AOMCI website went down. Too bad that and many other threads became digital dust!

As far as the motor, its been a long time coming (I work very slowly and sporadically)…but I’m very happy with the initial result…it runs!

I gotta get it out on the lake to dial it in and see if any ugly monsters rear their heads…next spring probably. I plan on using the motor on my 1958 Wagemaker Wolverine that will need to undergo a "cosmetic restoration"…strip and paint. I’ve already completed the restoration of its 1957 Holsclaw trailer.

I wish I could make this project move faster, but I guess I’m enjoying the journey.

I had the motor finished a year ago…just never started it. That had to be fixed before winter.

To say the least, it brought a big smile to my face!

Mas

Attachments:

bobw
                Participant

US Member

After reading your initial post again with the mention of the NOS parts, I thought it had to be the same motor. Congrats again on a beautiful job. It’s going to look great on the back of your Wagemaker. When the boat is also restored, the entire rig should be put in a museum somewhere! It really is a work of art. Sure came a long way from finding it sitting in a barrel of filthy water!!

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

LOVE those plylap Wolverines – – –
                    😎

Chris
                    Participant

Gorgeous motor! Will it be at Mayfield or Snake this month? Can’t wait to see it in person.

bobw
                      Participant

US Member

Mas,

How about posting a few pics of the completed motor?

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.