Home Forum Ask A Member OA-60 Johnson grey paint

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    lyks2tinkr
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The OA series motors were painted a light machine gray. The 31 OA55 had the cylinders, flywheel and LU painted. When I did my OA55 11 years ago I used a Ford engine block gray and clear coat I got from NAPA. It’s a few shades darker than original but has been very durable.
      As a note, if you paint the LU it really needs to be degreased. Mine lasted about 2 years and it peeled off. I just left it bare. It is the best running motor most reliable motor I have. Runs decently quiet too.
      I also own an OA65 and the cylinders have there original light gray paint and there are remnants on the LU. I don’t know if they painted the flywheel on that one.

spike
      Participant
        quote SquierKA39:

I learned something new I guess. Now I’ve got to check out the OA motors at the next meet I go to, if any show up.

The OA series motors seem to be very scarce in my neck of the woods, very seldom any show up at meets. The OA-60 seems to be the most difficult to find. I have the 55 and 65, still looking for the 60.

squierka39
        Participant

US Member
          quote spike:

quote SquierKA39:

I learned something new I guess. Now I’ve got to check out the OA motors at the next meet I go to, if any show up.

The OA series motors seem to be very scarce in my neck of the woods, very seldom any show up at meets. The OA-60 seems to be the most difficult to find. I have the 55 and 65, still looking for the 60.

I figured they would be. Funny thing a friend of mine had one in his collection and I never paid much attention to the fact that it was painted grey. I just reviewed his old pictures. Interesting motors.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.