Home Forum Ask A Member Ohhh Crap!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    outboardboy3
    Participant

I recently was changing an impeller on my Elgin 5.5hp, when I over tightened the bolt that holds the gear case onto the lower unit, and I forgot about a hairline crack that it had in it to start, and to my luck it broke off. Any suggestions of where I can find another gear case, or of a simple but reliable repair? Thanks.

Attachments:

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Fortunately, that was a very common lower unit back in "The Day". Try a free want ad on this site’s Webvertize classified ads pages.

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No worrys,
          It didn’t end up underwater. It had failed before you assembled, ๐Ÿ˜€

chas56x
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Take the broken parts to a propeller repair shop. They can weld the broken part back on.

jw-in-dixie
            Participant

Had a good welder try to repair a freeze crack in a KG7 foot – had to use apply much heat with a rose head torch that the casting sagged. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ Said the metal was poor and porous – some oil entrapped.

Long time ago – methods have probably improved. Wish I had used JB Weld – would have worked.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

First you have to clean out the cracks . . .
                Then you use the aluminum braising rod to seal ’em up . . . ๐Ÿ˜€

20mercman
                Participant

US Member

JW, your welder must have been having a poor day….. ๐Ÿ™„ I have welded lots of lower unit cases. The case on my "Johnny Cash" Mk-25 had the gear sticking out the side of the case. It runs great now!

These all have a lot of oil soaked into the aluminum. Also, I think a lot of our post war motors were melted down B-17’s and etc. They were not the best castings, and when you weld, the impurities will boil out. You have to just grind it off and try again. That may be what he was trying to do with the rose bud, burn out the oils etc., but he got carried away.

What is that Elgin case off of anyway?

Steve

ryanjames170
                  Participant

Depending on what it’s maDE out of u probably can get it welded

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

As an interesting "side note" regarding quality of aluminum –
                      While working on my 1936 A-80 Johnson, I seen the name
                      "TENUAL" cast in the crankcase. Research shows that name
                      is associated with a foundry in Ohio that bought up the
                      aluminum scrap from the Hindenburg.

Perhaps parts of some Johnson outboards have some "Hindenburg"
                      lineage in them?

=======================================
                      Hindenberg scrap used for FDNY doors?
                      ยซ on: June 11, 2015, 11:37:36 PM ยป
                      Here’s an interesting tidbit, the aluminum door on my VF post has the name "TENUAL" inside, I’ve connected that as a possible brand name that the National Bronze and Aluminum Foundry Co. once located in Cleveland, Ohio, turns out the name is found on automobile engine parts made back in the 1930s, obviously this large foundry made a variety of aluminum parts, so replacement doors for the Fire Dept in NYC makes sense.

Even more interesting is that in Oct 1937 a tiny blurb in the Pittsburgh Press paper mentioned that this foundry had acquired the 150,000# of scrap metal that was the wreckage of the Hindenburg. Part of the contract specified that the metal could not be used for ashtrays, bookends, or similar items.
                      The approximate time frame of 1937 fits about when many of the fire box doors were updated with new aluminum doors, and the TENUAL name indicates this foundry made them, it would make perfect sense given the contract about ashtrays and bookends, that they very likely would have come up with the perfect items to use some of the metal for- public safety related equipment.
                      It’s conjecture on my part but several things seem to point to this being a very distinct possibility that at least some of the aluminum in the doors came from the Hindenburg scrap.
                      The Hindenburg was made from an aluminum/copper alloy called Duralumin, it was aluminum with about 4% copper added for hardness, it was invented in 1909 after discovering the alloy would get harder over several days after quenching it.

Prepare to be boarded!

49hiawatha
                      Participant

Korean War (1948-53) OB motor metals were also impacted by the restrictions placed on manufacturers. Various metals were managed by Federal Standards due to the need for War Materials. Metal composition is a common NOS problem among vintage cars…"pot metal" sucks and repro stuff can be better. I have had vintage NOS metals/chromed in original packaging , never used, have erruptions in the metal…soooo?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.