Home Forum Ask A Member Oil leak screws in lower/upper gear cases Model 10014 Evinrude 10 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    docscott
    Participant

Had this beautiful trustworthy outboard motor in for repair of an oil leak but returned with MORE leaks( 30 drops per 24 hrs) at BOTH front gear case screws( there are 6 in total, other 4 screws are OK). It is DEFINITELY NOT THE GEAR CASE SEAL as I did 4 intensive spot checks with indicators all over the place. Without a doubt, it is dripping from both front left and right screws!
      Ideas to fix?!? Are screws available if needed? I am an not experienced at all , a beginner bigtime and need help,thank you, Scott from sunny Winslow, Maine… sunny ….ya right 😉 ….

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

The gear housing screw is part number 0304070 – available everywhere . . . 🙂

docscott
        Participant
          quote Garry in Tampa:

The gear housing screw is part number 0304070 – available everywhere . . . 🙂

Oh TY very much …. the diagram is great!!! BUT will bad screws that were taken out to replace the case seal, which is NOT LEAKING now, cause a leak? Why are those screws leaking – is removing them for the first time in 60 years a problem ?
          Do you recommend putting in 2 new screws and re-evaluating the motor for leakage? With sealant or washers , ?needed or ?recommended or ? bad news as I read on a website from an AOMCI member that anything with screws( too long, sealant added…) could cause leaks!!!

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

I should have mentioned that the factory recommends putting a sealer on the screws. . . 😳

Mumbles
            Participant

Was the skeg removed when the motor was in for repairs? If it was, sealer has to be smeared around the outside of the screw holes to so it won’t leak oil out or water in. It sounds like it wasn’t sealed up properly.

Attachments:

docscott
              Participant
                quote Garry in Tampa:

I should have mentioned that the factory recommends putting a sealer on the screws. . . 😳

Thank you Garry. Great information and I will try to get the sealant. Wow lots of technical skill and knowledge needed to work with these awesome motors; i guess that is why it was recommended that I stay clear of repairing it myself – I AGREE. The gentleman doing the repairs had retired and reluctantly accepted the job. Quite sure I need to have it rechecked by an expert. Thank you again, very very helpful.

docscott
                Participant
                  quote Mumbles:

Was the skeg removed when the motor was in for repairs? If it was, sealer has to be smeared around the outside of the screw holes to so it won’t leak oil out or water in. It sounds like it wasn’t sealed up properly.

Thank you very much Mumbles! The gentleman repairing the original leak ( which he felt was a faulty gear case housing seal) was great but it did take him a long time to finish the repair and, I understand, as he had retired from doing OM. I believe I will look for an expert and get this fixed; TY , I know it is beyond my capabilities for sure 🙂 !!. Great insights and I am positive we will be back in the running for Spring fishing at Moosehead and Rangeley Lakes. I really appreciate your time and expertise, as well as all members on this GREAT forum.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

it is not beyond your capabilities…… been there… done that good winter project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5lKeB32AIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez3RrSDx1Zc

just visit Utube for lots of good coaching and query for OMC gearcase reseal…

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Doc
                      This is a great old outboard, and you are wise wanting to get that gear case resealed properly to avoid lube leaking out, and water leaking inside the gearcase. Running the engine with a gearcase full of water will eventually destroy many of the internal components, including the driveshaft bushings in the gear housing itself.
                      First, in order to pinpoint and evaluate leaks properly, the gearcase should be "pressure tested". The gearcase can then be submerged in water, you will see air bubbles where there is a sealing problem (the gearcase needs to be removed to do this test properly).
                      Working on one of these gearcases isn’t particularly difficult, but sealing it up properly is a detailed process that can be difficult. Trying to do this yourself, with little experience, and no special tools, will not lead to success.
                      You mention that lube is leaking from the two forward screws securing the skeg to the gearcase. These screws do need to be sealed in order to avoid leaks. The screws may not need to be replaced, it depends on the condition of the sealing surface under the screw head. The aluminum mating surface on the skeg could be gouged/deformed as well. Have a look at these surfaces after draining the gearcase and removing the two forward screws. Using a rugged/hardening sealer (such as the OMC type M/847 sealer) under the screw heads is usually all that is needed to seal these areas sufficiently, this will seal the mating surface between the screw head and aluminum hsg. Please do not remove the little phillips screw next to the lower lube drain plug, this secures the inner shift linkage which will fall apart if the screw is removed! In order to refill the gearcase, both upper and lower lube screws must be removed, the lube is pumped in from the bottom until it flows out the top screw. The top screw is then reinstalled creating a vacuum inside the gearcase minimizing leakage while the lube filler is removed and the lower screw is reinstalled. Please make sure each lube drain/fill/vent screw has one and only one gasket. Mixing up this step will create another gearcase leak.
                      In short, I don’t recommend you attempting to pull this gearcase apart and attempting to reseal it. But, you can surely remove those leaking screws and reseal/replace them though. From what you have written, I don’t have a lot of confidence in the repair that was made by your retired friend. Needless to say, leaks like you have described would have easily shown up if a proper pressure test was performed after he completed the job.

docscott
                      Participant
                        quote crosbyman:

it is not beyond your capabilities…… been there… done that good winter project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5lKeB32AIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez3RrSDx1Zc

just visit Utube for lots of good coaching and query for OMC gearcase reseal…

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your feedback and will probably just try to find a skilled expert; I’m handy working on trucks and appliances but never have I tried repairing an OM and given it’s super reliability( … she’s there up and running during all those early mornings with Spring snows falling in the bay ) , performance, and worthiness, and with no tools on hand or time really, I will opt to find a skilled expert even if I need to travel out of the state of Maine. TY again for your time and insight.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.