Home Forum Ask A Member oil

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    jerry-ahrens
    Participant

US Member

I agree that the engines were discussing need the heavy oil mix. One thing that bugs me though is all the black goo that comes with using such a heavy mix. I think that’s the detergents and additives in TCW3. I remember an article by Bill Salusbury that was in the Outboarder years back. As I recall, he did some extensive testing with different oils on a Johnson PO15. I cant remember what type of oil that he recommended…. I think it was a type of aviation 4 cycle (piston) engine oil. Maybe someone remembers that?? I’ll have to see if I can find that article.

Anonymous

Shell Aero oil 80w , which is the aircraft rating = to 40w for autos It is a no ash non detergent oil.

vintin
        Participant

I’ve seen where OMC on some of their 50/1 motors suggest 25/1 if the motor is going to be operated at it’s upper RPM range for extended periods of time. I have a 1969 25hp Johnson and run it at 25/1 because it is always run hard on a 10ft./140lb. Feather Craft Fire Fly. I also read in a 1990 70 hp service manual to go from 50/0 to 25/1 for severe duty.

pm-t2
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Re: Jerry Ahren’s comment about Bill Salisbury’s article in the Outbaorder

Bill Salisbury’s oil testing was done using Amsoil synthetic, and he recommended using Amsoil two-stroke oilin antique motors because of its superior lubricating & sealing capability, and ability to actually cause an increase in compression in motors in which the Amsoil was used for several hours of running time.

Hope this helps

jerry-ahrens
            Participant

US Member

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember Amsoil and Shell Aero both being mentioned…. perhaps there were two different articles? Bill is an expert on these engines. I have a V45 that he went through the power head on, years back. Man does it run nice! I feel lucky to have it.

jpatti75
              Participant

US Member

I had the privledge of meeting Bill Salisbury at a couple Chesapeake Chapter meets and watching him run one of his PO-15s. I specifically remember him saying he used Amsoil.

JP

RICHARD A. WHITE
                Participant

Lifetime Member

I personally run full synthetic in all my motors regardless of year of manufacture, and all at the same ratio…
                  Thanks to Tubs, I have seen the light and do not see the smoke so as to not cause a ruckus at the launch ramp, the only ruckus is due to the age of the motor.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                  classicomctools@gmail.com

Pete
                  Participant

US Member
                    quote Chris_P:

Be aware of WHICH motor you are running as well. Racing motors for one obviously require more oil than trolling motors do.

That’s right on race engines, more revs especially sustained high rpm, more oil is needed to keep the reserve of oil available. In my race engines Merc 25ss and Yamato I use 16:1 and run them in the low 7000 range. Type of use determines the oil ratio needed.

Mumbles
                    Participant

For the early motors relying on the oil in the mix to seal them up, non-detergent aviation oil has been recommended.

Here’s a link to an older discussion about this.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2341&hilit=aviation

And some info about aviation oil.

http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueja02 … Anchor-927

Anonymous

TCW oils use a base stock oil of (thin) 10W or less (thinner) 5W. Way to thin for motors using crankshaft rotary valves to have the valves seal well. Also motors using bushings instead of bearings need the thick oil to protect the bushings against bearing loading and wear. Therefore the recommended 40W (Shell Aero 80W )=to 40W non detergent auto oil oil should be used in bushing and or rotary valved motors or Kendall Oil 30W(base stock) two cycle marine oil that has the additives of a modern marine TCW oil , but is not a TCW oil.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.