Home Forum Ask A Member Old Johnson Motor Identification

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    itchy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have had an AT 10 as the one above – also a DT38 as above also. The motor I refer to is a 4.2hp block otherwise like the AT10 above. A special fitting has been made -doesn’t look homemade for the front two bolts on the recoil, holding it to the block. I am still struggling with photos. Have 4 great photos and no idea how to get them in here.

itchy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Believe the photos are attached but somehow they ended up upside down…??? Don’t know what I did wrong.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

I don’t know why they were up side down ether . . ,

The Boat House
          Participant
            quote itchy:

Believe the photos are attached but somehow they ended up upside down…??? Don’t know what I did wrong.

I don’t know why eather but you can click on "Preview" to see
            what your posting will look like before you click on "Submit"
            If you don’t click on "Submit" it wont get posted.
            Practice a little.

phil-b
            Participant

Here’s a possible explanation for the upside down images:

https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-yo … y-rotated/

itchy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Garry, Tubs, and Phil B. Garry, I see you got one of the photos rotated. Wondering how you did it?
                I installed the photos three times. After seeing the photos upside down, went back and rotated the photos in document storage and installed a second time. And, they were upside down. So, went back and rotated the photos back again, reinstalled and still upside down. After reading Phil B site, perhaps I should have reinstalled in my document storage. In any event, I will practice under PREVIEW before SUBMIT. In the meantime, wondering
                what motor this is. Now there is one photo showing it, right side up, thanks to Garry.

kees
                Participant

International Member - 2 Years

still wondering what motor it is ? 🙄

your block is from an LT-37 or LT-38
                  Model LT-39 and LT-10 has a different block and with the recoil starter they call it an AT-39 or AT-10
                  so I think ❓ …. they put a recoil starter on the LT-37 or LT-38
                  just because it fits
                  you are the judge

other options ???? by others
                  btw. your welcome 😳

itchy
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Kees, I think you are right. LT39 & LT10, AT39 and AT 10 are 5 hp with the same 5 hp block used for many years. The 4.2HP block was used in the LT37 and LT38, DT37 and DT38 and discontinued. The 4.2 block has no usual cylinder head but what I would call a cast block. The fitting for connecting the front of the recoil to the block looks like a factory job. I’m going with an LT37-38 with an added recoil, which is the same recoil used on the AT10 but not bolted on the front of the block as is the AT10.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Itchy asked

quote :

Garry, I see you got one of the photos rotated. Wondering how you did it?

I download the photos to Adobe Photoshop and change the resolution to 72 pixels per inch with a width of 1000 pixels. Then save it to JPEG coding which saves a lot of space . . . 😀

itchy
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Garry. You are way ahead of me with technology. I’ll record and try to remember for next time. In the meantime, I am going to consider
                        this motor an LT37-38 with a recoil attached. Thanks for the efforts of all who responded and put up with my inemptitude on placing photos.
                        Will try to do better next time.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.