Home Forum Ask A Member OMC driveshaft intechange?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    adam1961
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Hi All,

I am working on a 1957 Viking 5HP (5D14V)….These are the same as any of the Bucaneers and all of the other store brands. I need a driveshaft and crank due to bad splines. I am trying to determine what the potential donor motors might be.

For the driveshaft, the PN for the 1957 model is 303441. This seems to be unique to that year, but has me puzzeled. The 1957/58 Johnson 5.5s have a driveshaft that is the same on both ends, but 1/4" longer. It seems that the castings on the CD series are slightly longer through the mid section.

On the 1958 Gales, the shaft number becomes 376093. The 1958 Gale motor LOOK identical to the 1957, but the shaft changes numbers while the crankshaft and mid section casings are the same numbers as 1957. The 376093 driveshaft is common to the early Johnson CDs (CD10-12).

Does anyone have a shaft out of one of those motors that they could measure. I know I have some at the cottage, but that is an hour drive and deep snow right now…..would be nice to now if it will work.

Adam

chris-p
      Participant

I have totes of drive shafts and cranks, unfortunately, I didn’t write on them what they came out of! DOH.

What are the measurements of the shaft you need?

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Adam, I think you will find that Gale (Viking) used the 376093 drive shaft in all their 5hp "Deluxe" models 1956 through 1959. The shaft changed in 1960 when they went to rubber mounts. Evinrude and Johnson went to rubber mounts in 1956, so that is why you have to go back to 1955 to find the 376093 shaft in their motors.

Yes, there was an oddball shaft number in 1956 Gales, but that was superseded by 376093.

Long story made short–you need a shaft from either Gale motors or J/E motors as long as it has the old spring mounts.

BTW, how the heck did you find bad splines on that motor? That should not happen if the carbon seal is intact. And if the seal has been bad long enough to destroy the splines, I would expect to find severe powerhead damage (such as a tossed connecting rod).

EDIT: To the best of my rememberance, Gales around 1956 had steel drive and prop shafts. Hey, so did Mercs for eons. But I also remember changing out those steel shafts for stainless steel ones from the J/E books.

adam1961
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Frank,
            What you described is exactly what I expected, however; the 303441 part number is a mystery. The early CDs and the Gales use the 376093 driveshaft as you described, with the 5D14X motors being the exception….they call for 303441. 303441 shows up in the 1960 price list with no superseeded number. By 1964, it is not even in the price list (not even showing a replacement number)

I too though that the Gales had steel shafts. My experience that most of the steel shafts have 550XXX or 552XXX numbers, but maybe this is the case here too. I have a complete motor and a secon that is only the lower section, both are 5D14V and the shafts are both among the worst I have seen. The 4 course slpines at the top are worn away by 1/2 of thier width. I need to clean out the crank, but suspect that it is toast.

Chris,
            I will measure the shaft and send the dimension. I am pretty sure I have one, but will likeley need a crank….or whol parts motor.
            Adam

frankr
            Participant

US Member

From my OEM 1956-57 Gale parts list 5D12, 13, 14. Note they have already made the change to the new shaft # at the bottom of the page. Not to say that you Canadians might not have had your own version.

adam1961
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Well,I’m not sure what to think. I had two 5D14V bottom ends and both driveshafts were very worn. I tore down two 5D16B parts motors and the shafts were perfect, as are any of the 5.5 J/E motors that I can remember working on. For some reason, my Canadian parts lists call out a different number for 1957 only. The shafts appear the same and look to be stainless, not mild steel. The motors with the worn shafts did not look any more tired than the ones with the good shafts.
                This one is a mystery to me. Now I just need to find a good crank. The Gales both had crankcase ventilation issues on the lower rod throws 🙁

Attachments:

Mumbles
                Participant

Still looking for a crank Adam?

If I can get up into the garage rafter area, I think I might have what you need stashed away up there.

adam1961
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Mumbles,
                    That would be great, keep me posted.
                    Adam

Mumbles
                    Participant

I checked my Eatons Viking books and you are right, the drive shaft P/N for ’57 is 303411 but it superceded to 376093 for ’58. Same part, different part number. My superceded numbers book shows the same thing.

After taking a closer look, 303411 is for the shaft itself while 376093 is for the shaft including the pin. It didn’t take much for OMC to change P/N’s and cause mass confusion!

Look what I found today. A 552681 crank with good splines from a ’58 5D15V with the nut, slinger, cam and key already installed. ☺ It’s your if you need it!

Attachments:

adam1961
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

That’s awesome. I sent you a PM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.