Home Forum Ask A Member omc dumb question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wauto
    Participant

More of a "will it work?" question. Working on a long time parts motor. A 1957 10hp. It was missing a lot of stuff, but showed a glimmer of hope. Anyhow can you run a 25hp flywheel on a 10hp? I know it fits. Just wondering if it will cause sudden damage? 😮

Thanks

chris-p
      Participant

Nope. Sorry.

It fits???

frankr
        Participant

US Member

You must be speaking of a 22 cubic inch 25hp? Yeah, it will fit the shaft and work (sort of), if it is for the Universal Magneto (Not the Lo-Tension Mag). But it is too heavy and the recoil starter might not fit (????) I confess I’ve never tried it. Best just get the right one.

Mumbles
          Participant

If it fits, it should work as the magneto layouts are the same.

I’ve been wanting to try something like that for some time now to using the biggest (heaviest) flywheel which will fit on the smallest motor to see how much smoother it will idle. You will have to rope it over to start it and if you get yours running, don’t forget to post some photos or video!

wauto
            Participant

Yup, it’s off of a 22 cube 25hp. However, it might be lo tension design. Has two magnets in it. Would that be a problem? Also the recoil has to follow the flywheel. ie 25 to 25

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Interesting question. The magnets would be attempting to fire at the bottom of each stroke, as well as at the top of each stroke. However, the breaker points would not be timed for that extra spark that the magnets are attempting to produce. So the result is—-?? I dunno. Probably nothing. Maybe some backfiring??? I dunno. Let us know what you find out.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Compare the flywheels to see if the magnets are in the same position relative to the key slot…That being said, I am not convinced the flywheel swap will fit properly, you may want to lap the tapers to be sure the surfaces are compatible….

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Fleetwin, the timing fixtures I used to make, the same one fits both motors. They are now made by Richard White.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so OMC used the same timing fixture for both engines? Guess it will work then…

Mumbles
                      Participant

This wouldn’t be the first time someone has used whatever’s handy to get a motor running. A long time ago someone posted this running 70’s two horse with an early flywheel on it.

Attachments:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.