Home Forum Ask A Member OMC Gear Case

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    labrador-guy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I been working on a OMC five bolt lower unit today. The previous owners had the gear case apart at least four times. Missed the alignment pin every time! Anybody know how to pull the locator pin back up where it belongs?

dale

Attachments:

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

strong magnet …won’t work I guess !

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bobw
        Participant

US Member

I pulled one by center punching the pin, drilling a hole, threading a self tapping screw into the pin, then pulled on the screw head with pliers. Just prior to pulling on the screw head, I applied some heat to the housing to help expand the pin hole just a bit. Made a new pin from some rod stock I had. Takes a lot of patience to get this done. If you can get the pin punched exactly dead center, guess you might be able to just drill the pin out kind of like drilling out a broken head bolt.

Here’s a link where I got the idea:

https://conductorjonz.wordpress.com/201 … p-day-two/

Scroll down the page a little ways to see how this guy did it.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I did one by drilling an angled hole down from the OUTSIDE, on the nose, down to meet the hole where the pin is. Then I drove the pin out to it’s normal depth with a pin punch, tapped my drilled hole and Loctited in a stainless set screw. I think I used a #10-24 set screw, so I picked a drill size for that. I’m not particularly proud of it but it worked.

Long live American manufacturing!

RICHARD A. WHITE
            Participant

Lifetime Member

I made a jig, drilled into the pin, tap it, then use the puller I made to remove the pin, worked very well.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
              classicomctools@gmail.com

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

Would it work to just drill another hole near the pin and put a new pin in that hole? It looks to me like the pin just keeps the bushing from turning, and the exact location is not critical. Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong. If the old pin is sticking up a little bit, it could be filed or ground down flush with the housing.
                Dave

chris-p
                Participant

Correct Dave. Sometimes easier to simply drill a new hole and install a new pin. Some don’t have room, but most do. THat is the route I prefer when possible.

RICHARD A. WHITE
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

I would add that while drilling a new hole would be faster, imagine if you drilled it in the wrong location??? Like too close to the gears, then it would not go together…
                    I can duplicate the jig I made, pretty simple and then you know the hole is correct.. I have drilled enough holes in aluminum to teach me that if it aint jigged properly all bets are off on where that hole will wander to, notice I did not say IF it moves…

Your mileage may vary, as not everyone has the experience to do that properly….

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                    classicomctools@gmail.com

labrador-guy
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the ideas! I might just mark the bushing so it will be in the proper spot when I put it back together. I have a L of a time drilling anything straight! The oil hole is suppose to align with an oil galley under the bushing. But it has ran plenty out of place and it did not seam to hurt anything. Maybe I’ll try some supper glue! It is suppose to hold a ton.

dale

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would also take a moment to slip the gear into that messed up bushing and spin it…The bushing may have been deformed/crushed after being misinstalled a few times.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.