Home Forum Ask A Member OMC Outboard Tank 5/16" Fuel Line Hose

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    gypsmjim
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I need only 5′ of hose for a 1970"s vintage metal tank. My local classic motor repair shop was out of stock and won’t be ordering more until Spring. He recommended NAPA, but they have to special order it and will only sell a 25′ roll. I want black.

I have the bulb and fittings, so I just need hose.

Any suggestions where to order a short piece?

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I get mine at either Advance Auto Parts or O’Reilly. There are both in my town and when one doesn’t have it, the other will most times. I’m sure there are sellers on EBay selling it by the foot too.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

RICK EICHRODT
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Try AutoZone also, they stock all kinds of small fuel line.

rmhxruss
          Participant

Dayco 80060 is 5/16" fuel line available at auto parts stores. Seems to be a direct replacement for BuRP and OMC.

dougs-outboards
            Participant

delete

amuller
              Participant

This should be a standard bulk item at most auto parts stores. Costs around $/foot in my experience. Be aware that most modern hose has a thin plastic membrane liner on the inside. It is possible for this to be torn loose while inserting fittings, bunching up and obstructing flow.

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant

I get my hope at my local Evinrude shop in bulk. Their hose obviously for is for marine use. The hose at an auto parts store is not USCG approved for marine use. It may seem like i am being picky,but if you had a fire onboard,The Cops /Fire Marshall/your insurance company might be checking the specs on the fuel line.
                  Picky Jim PSB 😉

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

amuller
                  Participant
                    quote PugetSoundBoater:

I get my hope at my local Evinrude shop in bulk. Their hose obviously for is for marine use. The hose at an auto parts store is not USCG approved for marine use. It may seem like i am being picky,but if you had a fire onboard,The Cops /Fire Marshall/your insurance company might be checking the specs on the fuel line.
                    Picky Jim PSB 😉

True, but if my understanding is correct the rules applying to inboard motors and fixed tanks do not apply to outboards and portable tanks.

The subject of fuel hoses has been discussed at great length here. Will only say I have some hoses (probably) from the 50 that are still serviceable, and some only a couple of years old that are shot. There are a lot of performance requirements for fuel hose: low permeation, fire resistance, sunlight resistance, flexibility, resistance to different fuels, long life ….. I am not convinced that all these have yet been met in one hose product.

gypsmjim
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I could not have imagined that this would have been such an issue. The only local source for A-15 fuel hose did not ever carry it in stock and it required a special order of 25 feet. Makes no sense to stock that much for a 5′ project. Local marinas were of no help. They want to fix the motor, not supply parts with no labor charge.

Dayco 80060 specifically said not for marine use, not when the gas is mixed with oil, or when gas has alcohol in it. Holly Mackerel, that one is surely out.

I ended up with a $1.40 a foot alcohol resistant, UV stable fuel line that is not Marine approved, but as indicated, the law does not apply for OB portable tanks.

Thanks to all for the help…

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member

I think that law might apply to outboard tanks put in enclosed areas?? I’m not sure, but it makes sense for safety. A lot of the fuel line made for automotive use will kink easily on an outboard tank, especially if it gets hot in the sun – watch out for that! I recently found that some auto stores no longer carry much for fuel lines that can be used inside outboards either because cars haven’t used this stuff since the early 1980s when most all of them got fuel injection, requiring high pressure lines.
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.