Home Forum Ask A Member OMC small square fuel pump orientation

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

On the side of these fuel pumps on the edge of one of the black plastic sections, there is a protruding tab with an arrow and the arrow has a "up" printed by it,the arrow should point up when mounted correctly. I have always assumed that these pumps must be positioned with this correct orientation to work right. I worked on a ’89 Evinrude 15 hp i just got.It was mounted wrong,the arrow was pointing down. The pump worked fine.
      Is this a big deal or not to follow the arrows mounting direction? Normally i do as i’m told..kinda 🙂
      Thanks, Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member

The way I remember it (long time ago) that pump was used in several different configurations. It could be put together with the outlet in different directions. The up mark on the tab was so you won’t put that section of the pump in upside down? That is how I understood it. I know we have people who have come up with good ideas of how to assemble those pumps. It helps a lot in putting them together.
        The problem is I don’t like the little pumps! Back in the day there was no little pump. They knew something back then. Today’s fuels make it even harder for the little pump to do its job. Ethanol & oxgenated fuels vapor lock easier & the pump has to over come that. The bigger pumps have the ability to purge the air better. I try to avoid the small pump if at all possible. The big pumps are usually cheaper & do a better job. Sometimes you just have to get a little creative in finding the space you need for mounting. Thank goodness the hole spacing is the same!

Dan in TN

The Boat House
        Participant
          fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, no need to argue with success….If it works, don’t worry about….
            But, I would follow the "up" indicators in the future when buying/installing these little pumps…

johnyrude200
            Participant

My $0.02.

If the pump is working regardless of orientation, I suppose leave it alone.

However, make sure the little vent holes are facing down as it explains when rebuilding them in the directions. A lot of it has to do with how the pump is configured since there are like 4 different combinations (basically has to do with the outlet tube positioning).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.