Home Forum Ask A Member Ongoing questions: this time "Gearcase"

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nice work!

nj-boatbuilder57
      Participant

OK……so it’s "full speed ahead" rebuilding this lower unit. It’s just a "spare", but having a spare on the shelf is more valuable than loose pieces & parts….

So with that, next step is to gather the seals & o-rings needed to rebuild this. I can get everything I need "a la carte" from marineengine.com, but I’m wondering if there’s an all-inclusive seal kit that comes with everything I need. Google shows me "seal kit for OMC 35HP", but they don’t mention the model year, so I don’t know if they’re right or not.

Anyone know if a complete kit is available for a ’57 35HP Johnson?

chris-p
        Participant

Yes Sierra 18-2686

nj-boatbuilder57
          Participant

thanks!!

reivertom
            Participant

US Member

You have the right idea. We had better keep all the hard to get parts we can if we intend to run these old timers for years to come. Good job on the skeg.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

This may add fuel to the fire . . . 😆
                The first rotary valve Speeditwins came out in the early 1930s – Elto Super "C"

It became totally Evinrude with the 6039 model in 1939. Three distinctly different lower units were used – yours is in the middle

That lower unit was designed for the Army Stormboat Motor – extremely rugged’ but a lot of drag.

Many trimmed off the "wings" for a little more speed.

nj-boatbuilder57
                Participant
                  quote Garry in Tampa:

It became totally Evinrude with the 6039 model in 1939. Three distinctly different lower units were used – yours is in the middle

Mine is in the middle? I’m not following. I have no idea what these engines are.

Anyway: a question about re-sealing the skeg…..seems like 3M 847 is the chosen "goop", and that’s fine. I don’t have any on hand, but I do have a can of Permatex Aviation #3. Will it work? Or should I just pick up some 847?

Thanks….

EDIT: Googling around, I find that 847 isn’t nearly as readily available in stores as I thought it would be. If I can’t use the P#3 that I have, is there a Permatex equivalent to the 847? Seems like everyone (Autozone, NAPA, etc.) stocks Permatex products…not-so-much with 3M.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Sorry for the confusionThat was posted to the wrong "Gearcase " question – yours is a "Classic" – The Speeditwin I meant that to be for is an Antique, It shows how far we have come – – –
                    😳

chris-p
                    Participant

I use 3M 847 for my gearcases, but I know other guys on here use this.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gaske … t-maker-4/

I cannot speak for how well it works, as I myself have never tried it.

chris-p
                      Participant

Amazon will deliver right to your door.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Nitrile-Perfo … H9J5SAZRTQ

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 35 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.