Home Forum Ask A Member opinions wanted

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    punchbug
    Participant

Some good news? A friend of mine is closing shop due to health reasons. He has shelves full of NOS parts and good used parts. He has been in the outboard business for 40+ years. He has asked me to help him get rid of everything in his shop. He will be going into a home on Saturday. I have not decided if I want that responsibility yet.
      Is it a good idea?

shoestringmariner
      Participant

Only you can answer that. I’d do it if one of my friends asked me (as long as I had the means to)

The Boat House
        Participant

Shoestring is correct.
          How close are you to this person?
          What’s the volume of what remains and is in demand?
          Have you a place for it?
          Is his illness something that came on quickly or is this
          something he could have taken care of long ago
          instead of dumping it on to you?

punchbug
          Participant

He is dying, prostrate and bone cancer. His family asked me for help because they know nothing about outboards or parts. I am going to do it for him because he has taught me alot in the relatively short time I have known him. There is one family member that is being a bit of a problem and I said I would do nothing unless the whole family agree’s. I am to old to start playing family feud. He has about 14g in NOS and used parts as well as several motors and all the specialty tools. He also has a complete wood working shop that the family wants to get rid of. Yes he should have taken care of this 3 years ago when he quit working on motors. But that doesn’t change the reality of now. SO I will do what I can as long as there is agreement.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

It sounds like you could use some help. Where are you located ? 😕

1aquaholic
              Participant

I would do it in a heartbeat. I would help them out and not expect anything in return. All I would ask is them to "Pay It Forward". Some day, somewhere, somebody, will need help and hopefully they (or one of the family) can pay it forward. Life has a way of rewarding people for things like this. It just happened to me a few years ago with a gentleman on this website. He needed a starter I had, it had been sitting in my shed for several years. I saw his ad on the AOMCI classifieds and I sent it to him with the understanding that the only compensation I wanted was for him to pay the freight and to "Pay It Forward". I sent it to him, he sent me the money for the freight, he’s happy, I’m happy that maybe I saved an old Scott from the scrap yard, but it made me feel good. It was several months later I put an ad on the AOMCI website looking for some 70 hp Evinrude carb parts. He called me up, said he had them and all I had to do was to pay the freight. After talking to him for a bit, we both realized I was the one who sent him the starter for his Scott. We had a great discussion about how this happened. It was fun! What goes around, comes around. I think some people call it Karma!! I’m a believer!
                I see guys like Garry in Tampa, Frank R and many others who have so much knowledge, experience and information and data to back it up, and they continue to give the information and help people all the time. It’s guys like this that makes this hobby fun and yet challenging.
                Do it if you can spare the time, or give them guidance so they can do it themselves. Good luck and keep us posted!

Regards,
                1Aquaholic

jerry-ahrens
                Participant

US Member

I did this for a club member and good friend of mine a few years ago. Same situation, he fought cancer till it moved into his pancreas. At that point,
                  He asked myself and another club member (and good friend) to sell his stuff off after he passed. He did his best to rapidly sell his collection while he was still in the hospital, and was able to sell quite a few Motors. I bought several myself, and actually spent more money than I should, but I feel it was the right thing to do. It was an emotional roller coaster for me, worrying about how much money to get for his motors, boats, parts, etc. I mainly worried if his widow would be happy with the money that was returned to her. Turns out she was, and my wife and I have become very close to the family! We now keep in touch regularly. It took a little over two years with the help of another club member, to get everything sold…. selling things at the meets vs. What one would usually be doing there. In a nut shell, it will be a huge burden to take on, but will be a rewarding experience.
                  p p

RICHARD A. WHITE
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Here is my advice after having done this for a deceased member. Ask 3-5 friends, you all, work together to catalog parts, identify them, identify make model and year of motors, noting their condition, and agree on a fair value. Write this information down.
                    Then all hell will break lose because someone will know what this person has and they will try to come in and cherry pick BEFORE you list them…

No one buys anything until it has been cataloged and identified and appraised a fair value by all of you.. once the numbers are agreed on, you can start moving items…

It may take a while and someone then must be responsible for the listing, collecting funds, and shipping of items…It will be a huge task, not one to do alone…

Ask for help…..Local club members should be willing to step up and help, but you need 3-5 to prevent cherry pickers..

Hope this helps..

Respectfully

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                    classicomctools@gmail.com

RICK EICHRODT
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

As far as the NOS parts are concerned, SeaWay Marine, out west, will purchase up old inventory. Sadly, they will only give you a very reduced price on the parts, say like 10 cents on the dollar. But it is a way to liquidate all the parts inventory, if they would be interested.

rapier
                      Participant
                        quote Richard A. White:

Here is my advice after having done this for a deceased member. Ask 3-5 friends, you all, work together to catalog parts, identify them, identify make model and year of motors, noting their condition, and agree on a fair value. Write this information down.
                        Then all hell will break lose because someone will know what this person has and they will try to come in and cherry pick BEFORE you list them…

No one buys anything until it has been cataloged and identified and appraised a fair value by all of you.. once the numbers are agreed on, you can start moving items…

It may take a while and someone then must be responsible for the listing, collecting funds, and shipping of items…It will be a huge task, not one to do alone…

Ask for help…..Local club members should be willing to step up and help, but you need 3-5 to prevent cherry pickers..

Hope this helps..

Respectfully

Richard

Four of us used this methodology for the widow of a local collector – with some very collectable motors, and then passed on a substantial cheque to her. She was ever so grateful; not only for the money, but not to having to also deal with the the logistics, or the public. All the best, however you chose and may it be as rewarding an exercise as it was for us.

Nick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.