Home Forum Ask A Member PO 15 Compression Release Linkage

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

The PO 15 is getting closer to its first start but first, I want to make sure the compression release linkage is adjusted correctly. This is the rod which controls the valve inside the intake passage in the cylinder. It seems it should be synchronised to remain wide open when the lever is moved hard over to the left but I can’t find any info anywhere on how to do this. Any ideas?

Here’s a pic showing the adjustable connectors.

oltimer
      Participant

Hi Jim
        Check page 88, Johnson Service Manual, 3rd Edition with the pic’s, and other info their on the PO, in this area. I’m sure you mentioned that you have this manual before?
        Jer

Anonymous

Hi Mumbles, I would go to the expert in our club Special Interest Group Leader for Johnson PO motors Bill Salisbury Jr. Bill knows the PO inside out and would be very glad to advise on the procedure to adjust the valve. He also has a wealth of knowledge on up grading the PO and the best starting procedures. His contact info. is in the directory or in each Outboarder. The PO motors are good motors that are a lot of fun to run. I have a modified PO38 and bone stock PO15. Bill has always been my go to guy for PO questions.

Mumbles
          Participant

I’ll post this over on the Green Board in case Bill or someone else there sees it. I spoke with him once about another motor and we had a long interesting conversation. As you say, great guy and very knowledgeable! Maybe it’s time to give him a call again!

Jer: I searched the 3rd Edition and couldn’t find anything. Did I miss something?

Anonymous

Hi Mumbles, I looked at page 88 and the only information on the compression release is a general description on how it operates, but not on how to adjust the clearance of the valve. Bill wrote an article in the Outboarder that told how to adjust it. My two different copies of Outboarder indexes only go to 2001, and don’t show the article listed. I’m not sure when the article appeared. It may take me some time to go issue by issue to find it, but I will take a look to see if I can locate it.

Mumbles
              Participant

Thanks XR! I’ve searched the Outboarder archives thru the 70’s with no result either. There’s lots of other information there but nothing on the release system. It’ll happen!

oltimer
                Participant
                  quote Mumbles:

I’ll post this over on the Green Board in case Bill or someone else there sees it. I spoke with him once about another motor and we had a long interesting conversation. As you say, great guy and very knowledgeable! Maybe it’s time to give him a call again!

Jer: I searched the 3rd Edition and couldn’t find anything. Did I miss something?

Hi Jim
                  Was away for a couple days. I’m going to go and photo copy both pages for you on this set up; and send it out via email to ya. You are a very quick mechanical guy, and I believe as you read what is written in there, you will have a better understanding as per the couple of paragraphs written on the opening and closing of this unit/part in question . I’ll get this out to you by Monday at the latest.
                  Jer

stanley
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

When a description of the process is finally found,can you post it for others to see?

oltimer
                    Participant

Jim
                      Sent you out the sheet and pic from the service manual on how the release valve works on one cylinder this morning. I checked to see if it opens in pdf; and it does. Good Luck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.