Home Forum Ask A Member Preserving tank decals

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Randy in Tampa
    Participant

I posted this question on the old board and I’m hoping to get some good advice, I have a 1937 scout and the decals are flaking off and I would like to preserve them because their original , I also have a 1929 a 45 and the decal is in beautiful condition and would like to know what to treat it with to preserve it and keep it that way? Are there any members that have experience in preserving original decals that can give me some good advice? Any help would be appreciated! I would like to preserve them ……thank you in advance Randy in Tampa 🙂

chris-p
      Participant

I would think keeping them out of the elements, and perhaps a coat of wax? Im not certain for that time period motor. I would be worried certain clear coats could make things worse? Again, not sure.

My mint original 50s OMCS, I keep in my house, cleaned with WD40 (not cowl) and a light coat of wax on the cowl.

tom-in-ri
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am not going to recommend this idea. But I will say that I used it on my late 40’s Grumman and also some older automotive stuff.
          Epifanes makes a nice marine polyurethane designed for woodwork. It seems to stick tightly to metal too. So I have given a few decals a coat of this poly to seal and protect them. Be extremely careful if you go this route. Some decals re activate and if you over-brush it will pull and ruin the decal.
          The coating has an amber hue. I have only used Epifanes because it’s what I usually have available. The UV blockers have helped it last over a decade on my garage doors. Other brands may be as good or better.
          Your mileage may vary so if you go this route be sure to test a lot before committing.

Randy in Tampa
          Participant
            quote Chris_P:

I would think keeping them out of the elements, and perhaps a coat of wax? Im not certain for that time period motor. I would be worried certain clear coats could make things worse? Again, not sure.

My mint original 50s OMCS, I keep in my house, cleaned with WD40 (not cowl) and a light coat of wax on the cowl.

yes I wax my nice 50s motors but this is a totally different animal, these are mid 20s to late 30s decals that are very fragile in some cases and I would like to preserve as perfectly as possible for as long as possible, that being said I believe these are museum quality pieces and are very well preserved and original to this point…. 😎

dmbono
            Participant

the Johnson service manual describes replacing decals. Last step is to apply varnish. I follow suit, using spar varnish. It seems to fix even flaking decals.

brook-n
              Participant

One option to consider if the decal is really nice you could always get another tank for running the motor & keep the nice original for displaying the motor. A 45 tanks should not be
                That difficult to come by.

Just another option.
                Respectfully
                Brook N.

Randy in Tampa
                Participant
                  quote Brook N.:

One option to consider if the decal is really nice you could always get another tank for running the motor & keep the nice original for displaying the motor. A 45 tanks should not be
                  That difficult to come by.
                  Hi Brook, Good advice but I wasn’t planning on running the motors with the nice tanks, I was just looking for a way to preserve them for the longest time in the future possible, i’m a little new to Having nice motors, or least nice square tankers. It seems a lot of the 50s motors are still around in mint condition and in fact I have a few but my heart really lies with the square tankers and one day when I can afford them row boat motors 😎
                  Just another option.
                  Respectfully
                  Brook N.
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.