Home Forum Ask A Member Prop for 1966 5HP Evinrude

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chipster303
    Participant

US Member

Does anyone have or know who has a prop for a 1966 5HP Evinrude? It is 8×7 1/2, Left hand, 1/2 inch shaft dia.

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

Try posting a "Wanted" ad on the classified board here. The ad is free and somebody should have one. Props for the 5.5 HP going back to 1954 will work. So will the 9.5 HP props, but they will likely have too much pitch. If you get an older one, watch out for shear pin location. Some had the pin out under a rubber propeller nut cover and some had it underneath the prop.

I think in 1966, your Evinrude was a 6 HP, but regardless, if you can’t find a used prop, Propco has new ones for $73, in a choice of pitch and 2 or 3 blade. I’ve bought several props from them and they have all been good.
        Dave

http://propcopropellers.com/evinrude—johnson.html

frankr
        Participant

US Member

With all due respect to outboardnut2, that is incorrect information. The 5hp was a non-shift motor and takes a different prop than the 5.5-etc. Not only that, people have asked about them before, and it appears the prop is very rare. Good luck in your search, and don’t give up hope. Perhaps somebody has one for you.

chipster303
          Participant

US Member

Thank you both for the information! I am looking for this prop for a friend and am beginning to realize it is like looking for hen’s teeth. Will post an ad and keep calling around.

nj-boatbuilder57
            Participant

eBay to the rescue… https://www.ebay.com/itm/Propeller-for- … Sw7NZbra1C

rmhxruss
              Participant

380104 is original prop. N/A from BuRP 2004. Michigan PJ7 012004.

reivertom
                Participant

US Member

Just note that if you are talking about the non-shifting 5hp model, the prop is a left hand turn prop. The props from all the shift model 6hp OMCs from the era won’t work unless you want to go backwards all the time. These props are around, but they are much more expensive than the more available ones. I’ve seen some priced for nearly what I gave for my whole motor!

fifty20ne
                  Participant

US Member

Look for a "Michigan Wheel" PJ-7 prop on eBay. I found one there.

Or Maybe?

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/bpo/ … 30584.html

outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member
                      quote FrankR:

With all due respect to outboardnut2, that is incorrect information. The 5hp was a non-shift motor and takes a different prop than the 5.5-etc. Not only that, people have asked about them before, and it appears the prop is very rare. Good luck in your search, and don’t give up hope. Perhaps somebody has one for you.

Frank – Thanks for setting me striaght – I had never heard of that 5 HP model.

Dave

chipster303
                      Participant

US Member

Thanks for all your help! Just ordered that one on Ebay. Expensive, but can’t run without one. I appreciate all your responses!
                        Chip

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.