Home Forum Ask A Member Prop for Evinrude 5hp 5602R

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    melugin
    Participant

US Member

I have a couple of 3 and 5hp right angle drive motors with terrible props. I also have a NOS 8 x 4 1/2 prop. The chewed props seem to have a cast hub, while the low pitch prop is missing a hub. The parts book and interchange books I have don’t mention hubs. Are they available, or should I just tear one out of my worst prop?

Mumbles
      Participant

If the five horse is one of those mid sixties Angler motors with a detuned six horse powerhead sitting on a four horse lower, a good prop for it will be next to impossible to find. Being direct drive, they are left hand and a common 5.5 or 6 horse prop wont work. I did waste a day once adapting one and was pretty proud of myself until I realised the motor needed a left hand prop. About three years later I finally found one, in a scrap yard.

melugin
        Participant

US Member

I didn’t need the other two props for this motor when I had them. I can’t keep everything, although I try. Yes, it is left hand, and the weedless props don’t work.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, I see what you are saying, just saw the break down for a complete prop…
            Looked up an older right angle 3hp and found the breakdown for the prop hub:
            http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … dard+Drive
            Hope this helps…Like Mumbles says, those higher pitch left hand props for the 5hps are near impossible to find, so take care of it!

reivertom
            Participant

US Member

They are around, but they will destroy your wallet compared to most other small props. If there is enough left of your old prop, you might want to send it off and have it rebuilt. The price might be the same….you’d have to check it out……it might even be cheaper than buying a NOS one.

retiredoz
              Participant

US Member

MIchigan part # 012004 or PJ7, 8 X 7 1/2, LH 3-blade , rubber hub bushing…

https://www.properpitch.com/_assets/pdf/MWpriceList.pdf

melugin
                Participant

US Member

I’ve sold two of those in the last year or so for $25 each, NOS in the box. Just didn’t need them for the last 5 years. I really don’t want to triple my investment just to purchase a hub for my remaining prop. The early props didn’t use a hub insert, but the later ones did. For now, I will run my one good prop on each motor. My two plastic inserts are for the weedless shaft. This can’t be practically modified for the right angle driveshaft and shear pin location.
                  Thanks for the input.
                  My PJ-7 props looked to be solid.

retiredoz
                  Participant

US Member

Don’t know if it’s worth looking into, but the SAC40 and SAC50 are both LH props off 5 – and 7.5 BOM ’53-’59 Scotts. Dimensions are right but they take a different hub bushing. No clue if the prop shafts are even close…

melugin
                    Participant

US Member

I’ve checked probably 25 LH props here, including those. Close, but no cigar. I almost used a small Mercury race prop with an prop shaft shim.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.