Home Forum Ask A Member QD-11/13 shifter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    melugin
    Participant

US Member

Did the QD front shift motors have an insulator around the shifter? I’ve seen a nice original motor with something which looks like black tubing around the shifter to isolate vibration against the cowling. The parts manuals do not show a separate part, but there may be something illustrated in the rendering.
      The motors sound some quieter with a piece of tubing slipped over the shifter at that point. The shift knob will pull off, I use clear vinyl hose.

george-emmanuel
      Participant

US Member

Wow Roger!—Looks like folks are coming out of the woods to help with answers to your question!
        I don’t fool with classics but I have seen that series motor and I don’t recall seeing any kind of insulation, (for lack of a better word) around that shift lever. It seems to me that it would be a high wear item if it were used.

George

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Neither my QD 13 or 14 have any molding around
          the shifter opening, but I can see where it might
          be nice to reduce any rattles!

Prepare to be boarded!

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

mel, I have two of those old babys. A QD12 and a QD14 neither have any kind of insulator on that shift lever. The only thing that keeps these motors in gear is the notch in the cover where the lever lands. If yours is rattling I would bend it a little so it hits the cover harder. These motors run good but they are not so quiet. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

dale

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I currently have a QD-10, QD-13, and a QD-14 from this family of motors and none of mine have anything around the shift lever. I have considered some heat shrink in the area where it contacts the cowl in an effort to reduce the rattle some. I have never seen one with anything there though.
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

seakaye12
              Participant

US Member

Ben (Fisherman 6) and I have commiserated on this very subject; both of us owning more than one of these fine motors. Ben suggested to me that I try bending the shift lever to starboard a bit (with the cowling off) in an effort to increase the tension against the notches.

Certainly makes a difference!

Chuck in Santa Barbara

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

I have three QDs with the shift in front – nothing on the shift lever/linkage on any of them.
                  Dave

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.