Home Forum Ask A Member "Jeweled" Morors

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bill-m
    Participant

Can anyone explain exactly what the difference between a "Jeweled" motor and one that isn’t jeweled? I have a 1949 Mercury KF5 and a 1962 Clinton Apache which I use Quicksilver gear oil in. Can anyone tell me if these motors are jeweled or not and which kind of lube I should be using, oil or grease? Thanks, Bill M.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Jeweled simply means it has needle or roller bearings. Fully jeweled means all of the bearings are needle or roller, not just some of them. I think Kiekhafer Mercury coined the term.

jw-in-dixie
        Participant

The KF5 is jeweled, the Clinton probably not. In general, jeweled motors will turn higher RPMs safely. Mercury OBMs dominated boat racing in the 40s and 50s for that reason.

green-thumbs
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Watchmakers term….jewels (usually saphire ,in rare cases diamonds) were bearings to
            prevent wear. A watch with jewels at every location where a jewel was appropriate was
            said to be fully jeweled. Advertising implying your outboards were "Fully Jeweled" emphasized
            the use of ball and roller bearings feature and implied your product had precision and quality
            of a fine watch.
            Louis

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Actually, except for maybe the cheapest ones, the Clintons were "fully jeweled". They were derived from the Clinton chainsaws.

amuller
              Participant
                quote FrankR:

Actually, except for maybe the cheapest ones, the Clintons were "fully jeweled". They were derived from the Clinton chainsaws.

I think the original poster was actually asking about the gearcase, not the powerhead. I would expect that a Clinton uses bushings in the gearcase but needle bearings in the motor.

chris-p
                Participant

The term Jeweled refers to the powerhead, not the gearcase as well. Just an FYI>

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.