Home Forum Ask A Member ‘Racer grip’ as found on Johnson A-25

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    smokeonthewater
    Participant

Gentlemen, I have found on my Johnson A-25/ A35 ‘mixmaster’ parts motor, (no crank or pistons) this longer than usual tiller handle with a (used to be) red grip, it says ‘racer grip’ on one side and ‘patent pending’ on the other.
      Does anyone know if this was a Johnson accessory, or might it have been some aftermarket goodie. It looks like it was pretty well put together, but I can’t imagine myself racing an A-25 anywhere.
      Any ideas welcome!
      Thanks!!

smokeonthewater
      Participant
        adam1961
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Is the tiller handel aluminum oe steel? Does the rivet that holds it in place have the large domed head that the factory units did? I find that most grip that are on these older motors have come from bicycles. That may be the case here, but does not explain the long tiller. I have never seen a long tiller in the early accessory catalogs.

smokeonthewater
          Participant

I found the tiller takes a magnet, so steel, I suppose. Bicycle parts sounds plausible, maybe it’s just a steel tube pressed over the original without the rivet, and a handle over that.
            Hearing it wasn’t an option in the catalogs is a good enough answer for me!
            I’ll keep this part and clean it up, maybe I won’t mind having an extended tiller myself…
            thanks!!

lyks2tinkr
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just a guess but I think the longer tiller is from the bigger Johnson opposed twins of the late 20s.
              I found one a a meet that I am putting on my P40.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.