Home Forum Ask A Member RD-18 inlet silencer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    olcah
    Participant

US Member

The RDE-18 I worked on this winter started easily today in a bucket. 😎 The inlet silencer is off and I have run my other RJE-18 without the inlet silencer always. That brings up a question for Those Who Know. Should these motors be run with or without the silencer? Also the insert tube is still in one of my silencers. Should that be taken out? Seems I read somewhere to remove that tube and the (probably already gone) acoustical liner.
      Thank you.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Maybe I’m not "in the know", but why would you leave the silencer off? Isn’t it noisy enough? Likewise why leave the guts out? Seriously, however, the very first ones (25hp) had a rubber hose on the inlet. I guess you were supposed to remove that, but I don’t remember the reason.

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

I recall that conversation, if memory serves, these items were in a service bulletin. It along with ensuring one enlarged the 1/4 hole in the pan to 2 inches to allow the motor to get more air, as it seems it was severely restricted. I recall having to open the hole in the pan to 2 inches, and I think removing the baffle allowed more air to then get the proper performance with this motor.

I recall the thread, just not all of the details…

So I looked, here is the thread…

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10757

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

olcah
          Participant

US Member

Yes Richard has found it . Partial quote from Garry in Tampa "Unfortunately I no longer have any service bulletins prior to 1958. The bulletin instructed you to open the quarter inch hole in the front lower motor cover to two inches, and remove and discard the rubber elbow and fiberglass acoustical liner from the intake air silencer."
            Frank and Richard, Thank you both.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.