Home Forum Ask A Member RD-23/26 Carburetor Swap Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    marksoldcresty
    Participant

Futzing around with a 1961 Johnson 40 HP RD-23. I’ve converted it to electric start and want to swap out the manual choke RDS-23 for a RDSL-26R carb that looks a lot less complicated than the RDS-23, RDS-24, and RD-25 carb auto-choke models. Question, can I get away with the swap and not experience a performance issue?

frankr
      Participant

US Member

You got me a bit confused. So, you want to put a hot-air choke carburetor on your 1961 manual start motor—is that correct? It is possible, but some other stuff would have to be changed also. The inner and outer exhaust covers, the hot air heat exchanger and tube, and the intake manifold come to immediate mind. You would also have to add wiring for the electric choke booster. After all that, the fuel pump has to be changed for one that goes on the other side. Plus ??? other details.

If you are just wanting to get a simple carburetor that you can choke remotely (electric), look for one of the 40hp Gale models.

Another option would be just stay with your 1961 manual choke carb. Most people have to operate that hot water choke manually anyway. But, yes, a few hot water chokes actually do work.

To install a hot-water choke on a manual start motor, you will have to add the plumbing and change the intake manifold.

Performance won’t change if you stay with a 40hp carb. Now if you want to go with a 35, 33, 28 carb, or anything such as those, that could be a different story.

Yep, it can get confusing.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

A 1962 40hp Gale carburetor with electric choke. KISS applies.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, I wouldn’t mess with it either….If the auto choke isn’t working, simply use the choke in the "off" on "on" position which overrides the automatic feature….

marksoldcresty
            Participant

Merry Christmas Gentlemen!
              FrankR, you nailed it. I’m looking to use the KISS principle to have a simple electric choke like my RJE-19 in order to fire up and go without having to climb across the seats on my ol’ crestliner. Thanks for the cut sheet. Fleetwin, respect for your wise words.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.