Home Forum Ask A Member read and weep…

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    bill-loveland
    Participant

that’s a lot of iron to pack out of the bush

chris-p
      Participant
        quote outbdnut2:

quote Chris_P:

So did you buy it…..

Dave,

Where were you fishing?

No I didn’t know about that motor and it was likely a long ways from me. I was on a 58′ rented houseboat with 7 other guys on Lake of the Woods out of Sioux Narrows which is a 90 minute drive from Minnesota border crossing. We towed 5 fishing boats behind the houseboat off the rear corners in two strings. Two of the smaller boats we dragged into portage lakes that hardly ever get fished. It’s an annual trip I’ve been doing for 27 years.
        Dave

Note one boat has my 1953 JW Johnson on it that has performed flawlessly up there for many years.

Looks like a great time. That is one lake I have not fished.

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member
          quote Chris_P:

Looks like a great time. That is one lake I have not fished.[/quote]

Lake of the Woods has so many bays, channels, and Islands that it has more total shoreline then the US 48 states’ east and west coasts combined! It also makes up most of that northern tip at the top, center, of Minnesota.

Dave

chris-p
          Participant

What you catch!>?

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

quote Chris_P:

What you catch!>?

We fish for walleyes and bass, and caught a lot of them, plus we get an occasional northern, mostly small ones – only kept one 24 inch northern – most guys don’t want them because of difficulty removing the "Y-bones". The rule this year was all northerns over 29-1/2 inches get released. You are allowed 4 walleyes and 4 bass and only one walleye can be over 18 inches. Walleyes taste better to most people, but bass are more fun to catch because they fight more and sometimes break water when reeling them in. The bass are 99% smallmouth, but sometimes an occasional largemouth comes along. One day in one of the portage lakes, a friend and myself caught 80 fish over two 3-hour sessions. Only twice in all those years have I seen a muskie caught, but then we don’t target them – muskies are known as the fish of 1,000 casts.
              Dave

Mumbles
              Participant
                quote outbdnut2:

muskies are known as the fish of 1,000 casts.

Then a Steelhead must be a fish of 10,000 casts! 😀

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

So it is a 1950 Evinrude Speeditwin. It might be worth it if the lower unit is good. . . 😕

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

quote Mumbles:

quote outbdnut2:

muskies are known as the fish of 1,000 casts.

Then a Steelhead must be a fish of 10,000 casts! 😀

I’ve never fished Steelhead, but I’ve heard they are easier to catch in the early spring in streams that feed Lake Superior when they swim upstream to spawn, typically a week or two before the smelt run.

Apologies to Crosbyman – we seem to have hijacked his message string here, so if we want to take this fishing subject any further, let’s move to the Dockside Chat board.
                    Dave

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.