Home Forum Ask A Member Reed plate gaskets

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bob-d
    Participant

US Member

When I took apart the motor the gaskets looked like they were assembled dry.
      On the rebuild should I use gasket compound?
      Bob D

Attachments:

chris-p
      Participant

No gasket sealer is required on the INTAKE side of the motor. That includes reed gaskets, carb gasket, etc….

That being said, I don’t think it hurts. I personally mist a thin coat of aerosol gasket compound on them before I install, or wipe with oil.

bob-d
        Participant

US Member

Thanks Chris, what is the name of the aerosol gasket compound you use?
          Bob D

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

If the surfaces are clean and dry, you don’t need any sealer… at least that’s the way I’ve always done it. The sealer could get into places that it doesn’t belong.

labrador-guy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Jerry is right on! OMC and others use crankcase pressure to pump extra oil to the main bearings. Make sure the small holes in the read plate do not get plugged with sealer. If you follow the drillings you will see that gas oil mix circulates throughout the engine.

dale

Mumbles
              Participant

You can also apply a very thin coat of grease to the gaskets which will help it come apart the next time without damaging the gaskets.

chris-p
                Participant

I use this Permatex Spray Gasket.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/perm … #store=154

I just lightly mist it to ensure that no passages get clogged. Helps ensure that you don’t have a lean sneeze as well.

As Jim stated, a thin smear of grease or oil helps it come apart later, and assists sealing as well.

I would NEVER recommend the brush on gasket sealing compound. For sure you will block passageways with that. As long as both mating surfaces are clean and true, installing the gasket dry is fine and is what is recommended. THe light misting of the aerosol gives me peace of mind though that it is sealed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.