Home Forum Ask A Member Removing Paint

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    bill-loveland
    Participant

quote NJ-boatbuilder57:

Whatever you use, surface prep is the key. hot water & soap, then hot water, dry it, then acetone, then naphtha….

What does naptha do that acetone doesn’t?

lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve had good outcomes with the self etching primers that I get from NAPA.

The biggest challenge is getting the parts really clean and grease free. Aluminum is porous and will absorb oils.
        A good soaking in a parts washer followed by washing with hot water and dawn.
        I then let it sit in the sun and warm up which helps bleed the oils out and wash it again.
        Just before priming I will give it a light sanding with a fine scotchbrite and wipe with Acetone.

I’ve had good luck with the rattle can self etch primers.

nj-boatbuilder57
        Participant
          quote bill_loveland:

What does naptha do that acetone doesn’t?

Ketones (acetone, MEK, etc.) will loosen grime very well & very rapidly, and are excellent at doing so. But their evaporation rate is so fast, that you often leave the dirt and grime on the surface. Loosened, but still there.

Naphtha isn’t as good at loosening grime as a ketone is, but the naphtha, with it’s slower evaporation rate, will finish the "washing away" part of the process.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.