Home Forum Ask A Member Removing tiller, 1957 Elgin 30?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Anyone have experience setting up a 1957 Elgin 30hp for remote steering? I’m attempting to use this on a 1956 Herters Flying Fish. The tiller hits the port side fin. It folds back doesn’t look so good and but seems to me it will become a rain catcher. I started to disassemble the throttle but the deeper I go, the more complicated it gets leading me to wonder if it’s meant to be run without the tiller?

I believe the OMC’s of this size had a plan for removing the tiller arm for remote step, and even a cover for the point of attachment, right? I sure hope someone at West Bend had this thought through. I think this boat and motor were made for each other. I hope they can reconcile their differences.

Attachments:

davidk
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Another question…..I wonder what the original steering connector was like? I found this home made bracket in my parts pile and it may work but it’s aluminum and I’m worried about a potential failure.

Attachments:

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member

David, I can’t answer your question, but that is a very cool rig! I’ve always wanted a big Elgin. They aren’t that common, at least around here. I’ll bet that motor has a ton of low end torque.

dockbuster1
          Participant

Lifetime Member

May be its like a turkey wing or leg you jest twist until it snaps off

davidk
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote Callie30R:

May be its like a turkey wing or leg you jest twist until it snaps off

Maybe you’re pulling my leg? Or maybe you shouldn’t store your cookbooks in with your service manuals?

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Do you have the remote control adapter kit? I don’t know about the 30, but if it is anything like the 12hp, it is quite different from anything else.

davidk
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wow, Frank, you are a treasure trove of information!

That’s quite a rig for adapting the 12 hp. I wonder who has a pile of those sitting on a dusty shelf somewhere? The 30hp comes with internal receivers for the cables. It’s an interesting setup. Pretty clever.

It’s helpful for me to see the illustration of the steering bracket. I wonder if there was a more rugged bracket for the 30?

davidk
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                    quote Jerry Ahrens:

David, I can’t answer your question, but that is a very cool rig! I’ve always wanted a big Elgin. They aren’t that common, at least around here. I’ll bet that motor has a ton of low end torque.

Jerry, this is the only one I’ve seen. A very generous member, Gary Sonnenschein, had it in his collection and let it go because it’s such a perfect fit for this boat.

I don’t understand why these motors weren’t more popular? They were sold by Sears, "Where America Shops," (or used to). I love the color scheme and the styling of the motor. I restored a 12 hp a couple years ago. Heard a lot of taunting from club friends about it until I got it running. We were all impressed with what strong runners they are. I’m expecting the same from the 30.

So, where did all these motors go?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.