Home Forum Ask A Member Scott Atwater 10hp golden pennant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jcrigan
    Participant

I have this 1953 Scott Atwater golden pennant outboard that I had bought from an old farmer for $20. It was buried under a trash pile in his field for who knows how long. This is a model 3835 10hp motor. Non bailamatic. I got it to run with new coils and condenser. Water pump impeller was shot. It seems to be leaking gear oil out of the top seal under the impeller. Would anybody have a parts breakdown and parts list for the gearbox on this motor. I have a Scott Atwater 1-20, 7.5hp motor but they seem to be different in construction. Thanks

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Here ya go, along with some notes for standard seals. I modified mine to accept better drive shaft seals. But that would be beyond the average bear’s abilities unless he has a milling machine.

free upload picturescertificity.com

jcrigan
        Participant

Thank you very much Frank. That is what I needed. I have a lathe, maybe I can figure something out.

seakaye12
          Participant

US Member

Here ya go, along with some notes for standard seals.

Wow Frank; don’t we all wish that **ALL** parts lists came with sizes of everything along with modern day generic part numbers….

Since we’re on the subject of 40’s and 50’s Scott Atwaters….can I ask a question. Can you tell me if the ignition components that were used in the Model 473 (1947 7.5 Twin) were the same as used in other later model motors? Say…in the model 518 (1951 10 HP 1-25) or in the Firestone model 133-5-1755 ( 1955 5 HP 10-A-102). Did the 473 share ignition components with ANY other model that came after?

Do you have parts diagrams for the various Firestone models? Or a "equivalency chart" showing Firestone and SA model equivalents?

Thanks Frank…..Thank You very much 🙂

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Well the magneto page for my model 473 parts list seems to be misplaced. But I have a sneaky feeling you might be asking about the Eiseman magneto that was used on the singles (along with Phelon mags). As far as I know, Scott did not use Eiseman mags after 1947. But they did use a lot of Wico mags and Phelons up through the years.

I have most Scott parts lists up through about 1956. Sorry, I don’t have any conversion charts showing the differences with Firestone.

seakaye12
              Participant

US Member
                quote FrankR:

Well the magneto page for my model 473 parts list seems to be misplaced. .

Well….I do have this one. Probably got it from you at some point lol….

So; what can you tell me about the ignition pictured; what brand is it…..and especially in relation to other motors that used the same set-up…..so I can start searching out parts…..

frankr
                Participant

US Member

That is a Wico with the sliding points and upright condensers. Used in lots of Scotts in the 1950’s

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Those old Wicos with orange shellaced coils were among the most bullet proof mags ever built. Except Florida roach bugs find the shellac tasty.

hearnz
                    Participant

Im a little late joining this post, but I could really use the breakdown mentioned above. Unfortunately, the link is broken. Can anyone help out?

hearnz
                      Participant
                        quote FrankR:

Here ya go, along with some notes for standard seals. I modified mine to accept better drive shaft seals. But that would be beyond the average bear’s abilities unless he has a milling machine.

free upload picturescertificity.com

Frank,
                        Any help would be greatly appreciate

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.