Home Forum Ask A Member Scott-Atwater Corsair 7.5HP – Recoil Won’t Engage

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jpatti75
    Participant

US Member

Gents,

I’m befuddled! I was putting my Corsair 7.5 HP (Scott-Atwater Gold Pennant) motor back together, and I can’t get the recoil to engage the flywheel. The recoil seems to be sitting just a bit too high to reach the flywheel. The recoil mounts on the power head were not removed during my work on the motor. I did replace the rope in the recoil, but there seems to be only one way reassemble it, and it operates properly while off the motor. If I turn the recoil housing so it isn’t sitting on the mounts, the recoil can be lowered a touch and the pawls will reach the flywheel and engage it properly. My only thought is that perhaps 40 ft lbs was too much for the flywheel torque, causing the flywheel to sit just a little too low?!?

Anybody run into this issue with this model before? In looking at the diagrams in the Scott-Atwater manual, it sure the heck seems like I reassembled everything properly. Appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks,
      Jason

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member

Can you raise the flywheel plate a skosh ? Like put washers under it ? I does sound like he flywheel got lowered, somehow.

jpatti75
        Participant

US Member

Thanks Ozzie, that thought ran through my mind, too. As I slept on it last night, I’m also wondering if putting a little grease on the starter pawls is somehow hampering the movement or ability to engage the ratchet plate on the flywheel. They had old grease on them before, and when I refreshened up the recoil, I cleaned the old grease off and put a light coating of lubriplate on the pawls. I’ve had issues with Mercury recoils being very temperamental with the use of grease on the pawls.

The flywheel (and crankshaft) turn smoothly by hand and the woodruff key is properly aligned, and so it is hard to fathom there is something out of whack there, but this is my first go at a Scott, so I have a lot to learn. The recoil is in very good shape and engaged properly before I started working on the motor, and so something I did wasn’t right.

jpatti75
          Participant

US Member

Well, I got it working. Although I pulled the flywheel and re-torqued a few pounds less (in case my wrench reads low), I think the actual culprit was the grease on the pawls. I wiped off most of it off, and now the pawls have no problem engaging the flywheel. Whew!

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How does it run? Somr of those can be a fight to put together & more so with different motor parts mixed..

20mercman
              Participant

US Member

This inspired me to get the 53 Corsair 5hp down from the rack and run it today. Hopefully the weather will break and we can get out on the water tomorrow afternoon. Tried today, but was a downpour so we gave up.

Steve

jpatti75
                Participant

US Member

Thanks for the help, guys. I haven’t run it yet, but once I do I will report back!

JP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.