Home Forum Ask A Member Secret to unstick a motor.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member

First, try to determine where it is stuck. I’ve seen rusted up lower unit gears, and broken vanes on a water pump impeller jamming things up. Pull the lower unit and see if it’s still stuck. Yeah – it’s usually the pistons, but you can waste a lot of time there if it’s something else.
      Good Luck!
      Dave

destroyer85golf
      Participant
        quote outbdnut2:

First, try to determine where it is stuck. I’ve seen rusted up lower unit gears, and broken vanes on a water pump impeller jamming things up. Pull the lower unit and see if it’s still stuck. Yeah – it’s usually the pistons, but you can waste a lot of time there if it’s something else.
        Good Luck!
        Dave

That is pretty smart, I never thought of that. It’s soaking in transmission fluid right now. I filled the cylinders up, and turned it upside down. I’ll let it soak for a day or two, then Try to tear it apart .

lloyd
        Participant

US Member

Good suggestions above, but I didn’t see my secret weapon. Heat! After you pour in some lubricant ( I like Marvel Mystery oil and PB blaster) heat up some water in a big pot on your stove and slowly pour it over the block to heat it up. Then rock the flywheel back and forth about a million times until it starts to move just a little and keep rocking, but don’t force it too far. Patience, patience, and keep rocking. And keep the block hot with more hot water as needed. Some times a stuck powerhead is the best you will find because the tolerances are still tight.

Small powerheads or stuck cylinders can be submerged in a crock pot filled with antifreeze to heat them up.

When you get that LT freed up you will probably need some new Leather Primer Seals for the carb. If so, contact me or go to pochefamily.org/outboard for more info.

destroyer85golf
          Participant

When you get that LT freed up you will probably need some new Leather Primer Seals for the carb. If so, contact me or go to pochefamily.org/outboard for more info.[/quote]

I will keep you in mind, I am hoping to get it running and let my kids run it around the pond! It’s soaking, hanging off the side of my reloading bench right now. Might try the heat idea here in a bit.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have freed up a a few incl a nice 9.5 turtle

my recent one …another stuck 9.5 paid 60$ freed up quickly after soaking some Deep Creep for a few days ….I also added some Marvel oil

a few tap with a wood peg got it turning a bit and I let it soak some more then Bingo! it turned easy

I scribe/mark the flywheel to get a fresh referrence point if it moves 10-15 degrees keep soaking it patience bring joy

I’ll get a new head gasket, impeller and a good check of the electricals and close it it up .. motor is in good shape I think it will be a good runner

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

brook-n
              Participant

Use your favorite petroleum based penetrating juice and heat.
                I like Kroil myself. Heat is certainly key to the process.

Opinions will certainly vary.

Good luck

Respectfully,

Anonymous

If one piston is at the top of the stroke, I would try grease. Only one motor did not come free using this method.

destroyer85golf
                  Participant
                    quote XR55:

If one piston is at the top of the stroke, I would try grease. Only one motor did not come free using this method.

Grease in a grease gun? Where do you get the fitting to adapt to a spark plug?

destroyer85golf
                    Participant

I ended up pulling the nuts on the studs that hold the head on the block. With. Little bit of finesse I was able to get the bottom cylinder to move. The top one is stuck thus making the head like a big piston, That goes up and down when I turn the motor. But I think I will keep at it with the heat, and atf and acetone. It seems to be Working . After the mention that if the piston was stuck. the rings most likely are too. Im gonna pull the jug and see if I can make sure the rings are free and hone the bore.

The Boat House
                      Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                        • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.