Home Forum Ask A Member Seized 58 10hp Sportwin – bad signs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    shoestringmariner
    Participant

So I did it…I dragged a locked up motor home with the hopes it was just tight from sitting.

Soaked it with PB blaster, then took off the cyl head. A bit of rust, but nothing major. The PB ate it off, but it was still locked tight.
      So, off came the intake.
      Corrosion and some fine sand inside. BAD, I know.

I found that all of the bearings on the crank and rod are locked. Removed the crank and now pistons travel their range, but sill cant free up the bearings.

My thoughts WERE to see if I could dissolve and flush out the rust with PB and reassemble just for a compression test. If values were ok, then I’d consider a rebuild.

My question is this; I assume this motor went glug, glug while running as the woodruff key is partially sheared off, which makes me think this motor stopped fast and hard. I dont know if the rods are bent, or if the pistons (or anything else) has been damaged or compromised.

Is it worth investigating more, or is it off to the great parts yard in the sky time?

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Parts motor for sure.

Mumbles
        Participant

Undo the rod caps and push the pistons out of their holes to see how they are. I can guarantee the rods and crank journals will be etched and unusable if they had water on them. Who knows, maybe the block has straight cylinders and will clean up with a hone job to live another day. Pistons to.

shoestringmariner
          Participant

Thanks guys. Pretty much assumed it was toast/parts only, but thought I’d ask. I saw the etching but thought it might clean up with some strips of scotchbrite…or not…

chris-p
            Participant

I dunno, there are a few members who sell NOS parts very reasonable. If you got it cheap enough, why not rebuild it and let it live another 50 years.

Pull the crank, try some emory on the journals, If they polish out within spec, rebuild with new bearings. If they don’t place a wanted ad for a good used crank.

I see you are not far from me at all. If you do end up needing parts, I can likely help. PM me. If you need any help with it, let me know.

shoestringmariner
              Participant

Thanks Chris. I think I’ll dissect further and see

Any idea where I’d find the specs on one of these motors?

CORRECTION, this is a Sportwin motor…not a Fastwin..I goofed

wedgie
                Participant
                  quote ShoestringMariner:

Thanks Chris. I think I’ll dissect further and see

Any idea where I’d find the specs on one of these motors?

CORRECTION, this is a Sportwin motor…not a Fastwin..I goofed

http://www.agott.com/glassboat/manuals.html

shoestringmariner
                  Participant

Excellent, thanks Wedgie

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The 58 Sportwin uses the little wrist pins/rods, I surely would NOT put it back together with those parts, even if they are usable after cleaning up with emery.
                      If the rest of the engine is in nice shape (you better check the gearcase carefully!), I would look for an early 60s 10hp powerhead and transfer all the internals into your 58 block (after checking measuring your cylinders).

shoestringmariner
                      Participant

Thanks Fleet, I’ve chucked it all in a box for now so I can concentrate on some boat repairs. I’m going to do as you said, or locate another running motor and keep this for parts. Certainly good to know that some of the early 60’s guts are interchangable.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.