Home Forum Ask A Member Fleetwin Shift Rod Curiousity

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

Working on my 7514 Fleetwin 7.5hp (1954) I ran into something I had not seen before.
      The rod appears to be brass. It is very soft. In this particular outboard the rod had apparently been abused by previous owners. The rod is bent everywhere. The threaded area is bent over at angle. Several spots along the length have deep gouges.
      I checked my parts bin and I do have a 7522 (1957) Fleetwin shift rod. The 54 and the 57 are the same part numbers. The 57 rod is steel.
      After working on countless mid 50s OMC outboards, this is the first brass on I have ever seen.
      How long did OMC use the brass rods? Did they discontinue due to the softness of the metal?
      Thanks,
      Drifter

Mumbles
      Participant

The brass shift rod was used until sometime in the mid fifties when they switched to tougher stainless steel for it and the plate in the lower crank seal assembly. The brass shift rod should have a slight bend in it around the water pump area and the rest of it should be straight, including the threads. The brass plate wore easily where it contacts the carbon seal and should be replaced if it is still there. I think these shift rods got bent from people shifting the gears while the motor wasn’t running or the prop wasn’t being spun.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.