Home Forum Ask A Member silver arrow carb body

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tpatenau
    Participant

My first post and I’m sure you folks have heard this a thousand times, but recently a 1930 Indian silver arrow fell into my lap or rather my garage. Presumably it was locked up but I gentle disassembled and every internal part is fine…the piston rings still have the casting or machining ridges and the cylinder bores/crank shaft look fine. I suspect these motors did not get much run time. This silver arrow is the early version with the cast aluminum tank not, what i understand to be, the later stamped sheet tank. I will photo document the reassembly with pics of all the parts. I think I’m missing the most common parts: 1, The carb body is cracked and crumbling. I read it is because the early casting had too much lead. I have all the carb internals as well as the external choke mechanism and original air horn. 2, I have one spark plug with a cracked insulator. This plug is a three piece champion with only one number on the insulator, 13. 3, I am also missing the Indian sign plate which was originally pinned on the cast aluminum fuel tank. Does anyone know where I might find these parts. The most important is the carb body. However, I suspect I can get this motor running with one of a few carbs I have in my garage (snowmobile, motorcycle and small vintage sport cars).

kees
      Participant

International Member - 2 Years

It is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. 🙁
        Almost all the carbs from that time period has that problem and are destroyed, even when you find the same
        type what comes from f.e. a Speeditwin ( and fits on your Indian ) it is probably cracked.
        But you never know, maybe you run into a lucky deal, but don’t count on that. Not in a short term.
        About the Indian sign plate: Same story ! Solve that problem with a decal on an aluminium plate.
        And it still is an Indian !! That counts ! 😀
        Good luck

brook-n
        Participant

tpatenau,
          unfortunately this carb will be difficult to find. But I would like to at least offer some help in letting you know that the carb you would be looking for
          is a Tilitson MS20D ( original carb ). After reading your post I spoke with a good friend of mine ( Bill Andrulitus ) who is extremely knowledgeable of Indian & Hartford outboards
          to confirm my thoughts and to try to lead you in a direction that may bring you some success. He confirmed my thoughts that an Evinrude Speedifour
          carb would fit the need for you. he did not currently have one but at least it gives you some direction.

Respectfully
          Brook N.

Mumbles
          Participant

Congratulations on acquiring an Indian! They are based on the Hartford motors which the Indian Motorcycle Co bought out.

I’m sure Tom will be contacting you to document your motor. He’s the Indian Special Interest Group Leader here in the club.

tpatenau
            Participant

Gentlemen, Thanks so much for the responses. One more question if I may, how is the Arrow sign pinned to the fuel tank? My tank still has parts of the pins in the holes and I’m thinking the holes go through; bringing up the concern of fuel leaks.

I’m really enjoying this silver arrow and was quite surprised at how easy it was to disassemble. Once again I will take pics of all the parts and try to take a couple of videos of the dissemble/assemble. There are some cool quirky parts that I have not seen on other current motors; but this is my first outboard. Fun stuff.

Thanks again for all the cool replies!

Indian Group Leader
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The nameplate on the Indian with the cast aluminum gas tank is pinned on with very short drive pins. The holes do not penetrate the inside of the gas tank. If you find a replacement nameplate, whether it be original or reproduction, you will have to remove the broken ends of the drive pins before mounting the new plate. Otherwise, you can use a good adhesive and glue drive pin heads over the ones that are broken off. The original drive pins were not that hard, so you may be able to get them out with a pick or possibly carefully drill them out, but do not penetrate the back of the gas tank.

Tom Oncken
                Indian Special Interest Group Leader

tpatenau
                Participant

Tom
                  Thanks for the nameplate mounting info. This confirms what I was thinking. Since my name plate is missing, I was going to make one out of thin sheet aluminum, add the decal and pin with aluminum pins that I will buy or fabricate. What spark plugs do you use for the silver arrow? I have champion 13 but one of my insulators has a chip missing. I’m not at home now, but will forward my engine number later tonight PST (northern California).

Thanks

Indian Group Leader
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have one extra Champion take-a-part #13 spark plug that I will sell to you cheaply. Primarily, I would like a photo of your serial number and a few photos of your outboard. I sent a private message and tried to send a direct email. If you would consider contacting me directly, send an email to texasoutboard@comcast.net so we can discuss your motor and any parts you may need.

Tom

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.