Home Forum Ask A Member Soda blasting in Michigan?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jimmy
    Participant

I’m trying to find a local shop that does soda blasting to prep an old Johnson for new paint. All the shops I’ve called only have media/sand blasting. And the soda guys are mobile units for graffiti removal and larger jobs. Any Michiganians know of someone who does soda blasting?

Thanks,

chris-p
      Participant

Before I bought my own, the guy I used to use did graffiti removal. I would put parts on their job they were at and they would hit them for cash while they worked!

clare-mullett
        Participant

If you have a compressor, you might want to consider buying a soda blaster from Harbor Freight. I bought one a few years back and was quite happy with it. For $95 you can get their 15# unit which is quite adequate for most jobs. Just do your blasting outside wearing a face mask. Soda is completely harmless so you can just wash the residue away with a garden hose when finished.

My neighbor borrowed my 15# blaster to prep his Jeep. I believe he had to refill the blaster several times, but if you are doing outboard parts, the 15# model should be more than adequate job.

fifty20ne
          Participant

US Member

Check out the Soda Blaster that Eastwood offers.

https://www.eastwood.com/promotions/specials.html?p=1

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

are these ny good for small jobs

Attachments:

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member
                quote JimmY:

I’m trying to find a local shop that does soda blasting to prep an old Johnson for new paint. All the shops I’ve called only have media/sand blasting. And the soda guys are mobile units for graffiti removal and larger jobs. Any Michiganians know of someone who does soda blasting?

Thanks,

Where do you live in that state up North?

Regards

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

jimmy
                Participant

I’m in Brighton, so any place in S.E. Michigan should be in range.

I did come across a shop in Clinton Twp. that can blast with Walnut Shells at a reasonable price. They are recommending glass beads for aluminum. Any comments on that?

I would look into a blaster myself, but I really don’t have the need to one on a regular basis, and I don’t have a compressor large enough to drive it.

Thanks for the comments so far.

RICHARD A. WHITE
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

I was going to offer the use of my blast cabinet, no charge… But you are like 2 hours or so away.. I am in Kendallville Indiana

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                    classicomctools@gmail.com

jimmy
                    Participant

I appreciate the offer!

kerry
                      Participant

US Member
                        quote crosbyman:

are these ny good for small jobs

Actually, yes. I bought one on sale at HF a couple years ago to try out. Used grocery store baking soda. It does a good job on light stuff like oxidation but not as a paint or heavy rust remover, which I expected since I was not using sand media. Cleaned a couple carbs and a few brackets, works good. I was going to try it with sand on a bigger job but plans are on hold for now. FOR THE PRICE, I believe its worth it.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.