Home Forum Ask A Member Sound deading material.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    mr-asa
    Participant
      quote SteveH:

Somewhere I read about a guy who put a plastic bag over the power head, put the cowling back on and used spray-in foam…

Sounds like a good recipe for a fire later on.

squierka39
      Participant

US Member
        quote Mr. Asa:

quote SteveH:

Somewhere I read about a guy who put a plastic bag over the power head, put the cowling back on and used spray-in foam…

Sounds like a good recipe for a fire later on.

That was a good friend of mine, Art Seselberg, who did that. It was on an OMC 20 horse from late sixties I think. He told me it worked great, and no fires. Of course after the foam set up he had to carve some of it away so the cover fit and had some air flow around the powerhead.

amuller
        Participant

Is flotation an element of the picture? Is the foam in the OMC fiberglass hoods enough to keep a dropped one on the surface?

Alan

amuller
          Participant

Other question: OMC went from using basically open metal covers and inlet silencers, to sealed fiberglass hoods used as intake plenums. Are these "tuned," such that missing foam, or extra foam, effects the output?

am

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Foam only harms output when it blocks the air intake . . . 😀

chris-p
              Participant

Don’t use spray foam. It will clog up your jets continuously. Stick with a non friable material, such as the vinyl septum or closed cell rubber mentioned.

aquasonic
                Participant

US Member

In 2013 I added 1/2" thick Soundcoat acoustic insulation to my 1990 Evinrude 15. The original insulation had crumbled, so there wasn’t much to make a pattern from other than the cowl itself. Four panels did the trick. The adhesive is so powerful that you only have one chance to position it. So far, it has worked well.

Chris
                  Participant
                    quote aquasonic:

So far, it has worked well.

That’s all I needed to hear. Ordered. 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.