Home Forum Ask A Member Spark plug wire & Boot for 50’s Johnson/Evinrude

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    silvab7232
    Participant

Hello I’m wondering where I could find spark plug wire /w a boot for the 60’s Johnsons/Evinrude motors? More specifically 1957 Johnson 3hp (jw-13) and 1957 Johnson 5.5 (cd-14).

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Among other places, you can find these at marineengine.com. Select the Johnson outboard section, then enter your engine model number and the various parts sections will pop up. Select the "Magneto Group" and your plug wires and boots will show up in that section.

Alternatively, you can buy bulk plug wire and boots at your local auto parts store. Just be sure to get a solid core plug wire.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

rmhxruss
        Participant

Your local OMC BuRP dealer should have the boots and wire in stock. Boot 580339 these should be about $6.09 each the wire $1.00 foot.

amuller
          Participant

OMC seems to have used boots/connectors commonly called "sparkys" https://www.amazon.com/Stens-135-053-Sp … text&psc=1 These are also used on many small engines. IMO these are not the most rubust design, but if you use metal core wire (most auto parts stores will have it) and make sure to poke the connector through the center of the wire they will work.

cajuncook1
            Participant

Buddy, you can get spark plug wires and boots at many local automotive supply shops….Auto Zone, Oreilys, Napa, etc etc. You can get spark plugs wires and boots at a local tractor supply store or a local lawn motor repair shop.

Make sure the spark plug wire is 7mm copper core wire and not the automotive stuff.

Good luck with your repairs.

Cheers,

Cajuncook

frankr
              Participant

US Member
                quote amuller:

OMC seems to have used boots/connectors commonly called “sparkys” https://www.amazon.com/Stens-135-053-Sp … text&psc=1 These are also used on many small engines. IMO these are not the most rubust design, but if you use metal core wire (most auto parts stores will have it) and make sure to poke the connector through the center of the wire they will work.

Careful, don’t be fooled (as I was). That Stens sparky is for 5 mm wire. Our stuff is 7 mm.

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Small motor repair shops and bike shops use solid core wire and can surely sell you a couple feet.

Unless cracked and brittle you can probably reuse older booths or pick a Universal kit (my local parts store had boxes of unsold kits I got for $10 …I just discarded the carbon fiber stuff and replaced it with solid core wire.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.