Home Forum Ask A Member Spark Plug Wires

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    muddog2
    Participant

I have a Johnson AB-25 I am trying to restore. I want to put it on my small aluminum boat to take my grand kids fishing. I am trying to find out how to connect new spark plug wires. I was told that the earlier models, the spark plug wires were not soldered to the coil. The old spark plug wires only came through the armature about 1/2" on this motor. There was no sign of any wires from the end of the wires sticking through the armature to the coil on either side. I chipped the dark brown material out with a small screwdriver very carefully. I did not find any evidence of wires in the dark brown material. Also what is the dark brown material and where do I get it.
      Here is a link to my picture trail album with pictures of the armiture and the coil before and after everything was removed.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24820876

copy and paste in brouser.

Thanks, Robert

lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good morning.
        The black/brown stuff that was there I believe they called it Corite. Messy stuff that’s probably not to healthy to handle .
        The spark plug wires had a small amount of the copper exposed and flared out against the butt end of the insulation and pushed against the tab for the secondary when the retainers were screwed back in.
        I wouldn’t reuse the Corite. I have used black silicone in the past.
        Congrats on the AB25. It’s a desirable and great running motor.

muddog2
        Participant

Thanks so much for the info. I assume the secondary is the two long tabs that protude from the middle of the coil.
          Robert

lyks2tinkr
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes those tabs are the secondary.
            Johnson coils are almost always good but if you haven’t already done so you should measure the secondary resistance before you go through the trouble of putting the silicone in.

I believe that model used 9mm wire for the plugs.

muddog2
            Participant

Thanks again, I plan on testing the coil before I install it. I have found some videos on YouTube that show how to test it.
              Robert

stanley
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The A25s I have replaced original spark plug wires on,had a fine wire brass spring,making the connection from plug wire to coil tab.The springs have one end inserted into the wire and the other pushed up against the coil tab.I use a combination of nylon compression washers and an o-ring to hold the wires in place with just a little rtv to insulate.That way if the wires work loose you can fix easily.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.