Home Forum Ask A Member Sport Four

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    1-old-outboard
    Participant

I recently picked up a Sportfour which seems to be around the 1938 – 39 time line. The serial number is my question. It has a serial number of 00247. This motor also has a badge on it that says 16.2 hp. attached with drive rivets on the front face. I was looking for a little history of this model, I don’t see them much/at all. I thought I saw they went to a 17 hp. at some point in time, around 1940 maybe. I was told the gas tank changed when it went to the 17 hp. as well. The serial number seemed off kilter to me. It is stuck so the soaking process has commenced. Any Info would be appreciated. I will try to post a pictures later today.
      R

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Evinrude typically starts over with serial numbers each year. I really don’t know what number they begin with. Probably not the same every year.

hotrod
        Participant

In my experience, most square tank Evinrudes start with serial number 00001 with each different model number. The serial numbers of my 1936 to 1941 Sportfours range from 00028 to 01070. Like most or all 4 cylinder opposed Evinrude motors, the Sportfour muffler has 8 bolts holding it onto the cylinders, (2 of which are hidden bolts, located on the front of the motor, between the top and bottom cylinders). Don’t force the muffler off without making sure all bolts are removed first. My ’37 Sportfour is one of my favorites. It is easy to start and very smooth and quiet. Use the recommended oil ratio – no less. The factory ratio is One Pint per gallon of gas for general use. For break-in or racing it is One and a Half Pints of oil per gallon of gas.

dan-in-tn
          Participant

US Member

Mine is model 9035-00166x. Is the little x anything after the last 6? This motor is stuck also, but does move about a 1/2" which gives me hope the crank is loose.

Dan in TN

hotrod
            Participant

It is generally thought that an X there on an Evinrude means factory rebuilt.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

9035 was built 1940-41. Since it is such a low serial number, my assumption is it is a 1940. 17.6 HP.

1-old-outboard
                Participant

That explains the serial number. Most appreciated. You got my next question also, pulling the exhaust manifolds off.
                  Regards,
                  Randy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.