Home Forum Ask A Member Sportsman gear case

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    alanp
    Participant

US Member

I am hoping somebody could tell me or have a parts list.
      Does a gearcase from a 1939 sportsman #4296 fit on a 1937 sportsman #4207.
      Thank you. Alan

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

They used a piston type water pump in 1937, that was changed to a centripetal type in ’38. SO – anything from ’38 through ’47 should work. . . 😀

There was a change in the parts books also . . .

alanp
        Participant

US Member

Garry,

So do you think can I put a 1939 gearcase on my 1937 if the water pumps were changed.

Alan

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Easier to put the ’37 powerhead on the 39 driveshaft housing and change the model number tag. Many differences were made. Different exhaust pipe length, different drive shaft , etc.. Anyone would (should) know it would be worth less money than an original ’37. For general motor use, it would be more dependable. The piston pump wore rapidly running in silty conditions. The later models are much preferred for digging channels through sand bars . . . 😆

alanp
            Participant

US Member

Thanks for all the information. I have a ‘37 with the scag broken off. I will just keep looking for the correct gearcase.
              Alan

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Alan, my propeller guy fixes scags all the time. Last one he fixed for me, I made a pattern from another motor out of cardboard. Came out real good. Some people are masters with those helearc welders! Jim’s Prop Shop Standish MI.

dale

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.