Home Forum Ask A Member Stained aluminum boat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jcrigan
    Participant

I just bought a small old aluminum boat (12′ Vio Holda). It must have spent much of its life under trees as the floor, transom, and sides are darker than the outside of the boat. What can be recommended to clean this up as dishwasher soap and hot water doesn’t work.

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t know about aluminum; but in the case of fiberglass boats having lived under trees, sunlight and time always seems to help the stains that leaves make. Miraculous, really. Give it your best shot with soap, then leave it in the sun. Again, I don’t know about aluminum but it can’t hurt to try.

Long live American manufacturing!

brook-n
        Participant

John C.
          I have had some success with Star Brite Ultimate Aluminum Cleaner/Restorer.

Respectfully

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

Sounds like it’s time for the star brite cleaner Brook mentioned. I use Zing aluminum boat cleaner, mainly cause I can buy it wholesale. After rinsing off the cleaner, I use SOS pads with plenty of dish soap to remove the white residue, and prevent scratches. I’ve done this to three Alumacrafts, and they still look good almost ten years later.

The Boat House
            Participant

You have one of these?

jcrigan
              Participant

Yes Tubs I have one of these. Very light weight boat, may be under a hundred pounds. Ads say they are either good for up to 7.5hp and other ads say 12hp. Thanks for the product information as I will try them out. I am using bar keepers friend right now with some success.

fifty20ne
                Participant

US Member
                  mini-motors
                  Participant

I had good luck with Eagle One etching Mag Wheel cleaner. Made my ’61 11′ Elgin shine.

reivertom
                    Participant

US Member

They look like sturdy little boats. I have the same problem with my Dad’s old 11′ Duratech pram. I’ll have to try some of the products mentioned here. I’d stay with the 7.5 or under, a 12 would be scary on that little boat.

jcrigan
                      Participant

Thanks for all the replys. The outside cleaned up well with bar keepers friend. The bad part inside I finally had to use a plastic bristle cup brush with my electric drill. Cleaned up very well. The aluminum side walls on this boat is very thin and is textured making it harder to get at all the blackened parts.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.