Home Forum Ask A Member Stuck Prop?

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jeff-register
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Me too! used a cutting torch to get one hub off. I’m with you, Salt sucks :mrgreen:

kevinrude
      Participant

OK, got the prop off and now have the gear housing off too. The prop shaft seal needs to be replaced, only it isn’t a seal, it is two parts. Referencing the lower unit diagram provided by Garry, I need parts 550053 Prop Shaft Water Seal Seat and 550025 Prop Shaft Water Seal Disc. Any ideas where I can get these parts?

Thanks.

dan-in-tn
        Participant

US Member

#550025 is available on ME & see Ebay link for #550053.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-OMC-Jo … pJ&vxp=mtr

Dan in TN

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Or look for a "real" seal, 9/16" iD X 1-1/8" OD. You might have to locktite the OD

kevinrude
            Participant

Thanks guys! Parts ordered!

amuller
              Participant
                quote kevinrude:

Well, I’ve never had this happen before.

Working on a 3HP 1947/48 MW motor. Removed the cotter pin and the prop nut, but the propeller won’t come off! It is stuck. The prop is engaged with the gears, so the only thing I can figure is that the shear pin is bent or something and, as a result, has wedged itself onto the prop. Would anything else cause it to be stuck like this? I can’t see any other bolts or screws holding the prop on and the parts diagram I have doesn’t show any either.

I don’t want to put any more pressure on the prop than I already have trying to remove it for fear it will break. So, what are my options here? Tapping around the prop hub with a mallet? Heating it up with a torch to see what happens? I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks!

I had a very stuck prop on a small Mercruiser outdrive. I borrowed a big three arm puller from an auto parts chain, took the arms off, and attached the puller to the bases of the prop blades with wire rope and clips, trying to protect the blades with short pieces of hose. The prop came right off. Of course, this is inelegant and there is the potential of damaging the prop, or pulling the prop off it’s hub.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.