Home Forum Ask A Member Sure ccould use some expert help on this ignition issue

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

i may have read this wrong …. but if flyingranch reverses the wires again….. and the engine fails then we can conclude it is a polarity issue since electricity flow (polarity) is only in one direction affair unless the magnetic field direction is reversed

…which in this case it doesn’t reverse by design .

so .. reversing the wire on the sensor messes up its polarity

right ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, not quite sure I understand what you are asking….
        But, reversing polarity is how one sensor can "trigger" two different SCRs in the powerpack. The flywheel magnets are polarized in opposite directions, so when one magnet passes by the sensor it generates a "positive" one volt. The other magnet generates a "negative" one volt, so the pack can differentiate the signals and trigger the two different SCRs/cylinders at the appropriate times.
        Generally speaking, a bad sensor will affect both cylinders on this CDII system….But, one weak magnet, or an improper sensor air gap could surely affect just one cylinder. I’m thinking that if one of the sensor leads is shorted to the mag plate, we might see a similar problem.
        Usually, we would expect the powerpack to be the culprit in an issue like this, but he tried a different pack with the same result. I hope he will find the correct mag plate ring when he replaces the sensor again, but I think he said he was going to replace the entire mag plate….

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

makes a lot of sense …didn’t know sensor triggered both scr’s by reversing the pulse

thanks

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
          Participant

US Member

If anybody is interested, I am posting a follow-up on this system on the members-only Dockside Chat Forum, Titled Electrical Engineers ?

flyingvranch
            Participant

I did replace the whole mag plate since the other one was broken. So far my engine is running well with no big problems. Thanks everyone!

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.