Home Forum Ask A Member Synchronizing a 1952 Johnson QD 13

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    johnny
    Participant

US Member

Can anyone tell me how to synchronize the throttle and spark on a 1952 Johnson QD-13? There are no reference marks anywhere on the motor that I can find. The armature cam plate is adjustable at one end for the purpose of synchronizing.

John Fairgrieve jboats@comcast.net

lloyd
      Participant

US Member

If I remember correctly, there should be a scribed line on the cam plate that should line up with the throttle roller just as the throttle starts to open. That’s why the cam plate can be adjusted in or out.

johnny
        Participant

US Member

There are no scribed lines on the cam plate or on the motor cover indicating where the cam plate should be located when the throttle roller just starts to open the throttle shaft.

lindy46
          Participant

US Member

Clean that cam real good and you’ll probably see the mark.

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

I didn’t see anything in the manual about a sycn mark on this model.
              I looked at some old photos of my QD-13, but can’t see a mark,
              but doesn’t mean it’s not there.
              All I can remember that I got it running great, and I sold it after
              I got the new fangled QD-14 with the twist grip throttle.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

johnny
              Participant

US Member

buccaneer, those pictures are of a QD-10 or QD-11 but that really doesn’t matter because the QD-13 is almost the same. I have both a QD-10 and a QD-13 and I can’t find a sync mark on either motor.

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member
                  quote Johnny:

buccaneer, those pictures are of a QD-10 or QD-11 but that really doesn’t matter because the QD-13 is almost the same. I have both a QD-10 and a QD-13 and I can’t find a sync mark on either motor.

Johnny, I just looked at the serial number I had recorded for the QD in the photos
                  ( 982972 ) and the serial number list says "1953" .
                  What QD does that make it then?
                  I always thought it was a QD-13
                  Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

bobw
                  Participant

US Member

that serial number would be a 1953 run, so it would be a QD-14. But sometimes, I’m not sure about the serial number model year listings. My 1958 Johnson was originally painted in the 1958 color scheme, the ID plate clearly labels it as model QD-19 which is a 1958 model, but the matching serial numbers on the same ID plate and on the powerhead welch plug would put it well into the 1959 model year run. Anybody able to clarify that?

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                    1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

johnny
                    Participant

US Member

I believe that rubber tube coming off the carb and the lack of a spring connector on the side of the exhaust cover and the shape of the magneto and it’s lever handle make that motor a QD-10 or 11. What model designation is on your motor QD-10, QD-11, QD-12 or QD-13?

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member
                        quote Johnny:

I believe that rubber tube coming off the carb and the lack of a spring connector on the side of the exhaust cover and the shape of the magneto and it’s lever handle make that motor a QD-10 or 11. What model designation is on your motor QD-10, QD-11, QD-12 or QD-13?

I no longer have that outboard, but have to believe I recorded the serial and model number
                        off of the data plate correctly. It very well could have had various QD parts on it from earlier
                        models, and I would have been "none the wiser".

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.