Home Forum Ask A Member T2Stroke

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Your flywheel can be helpful also, because it has a decent timing scale "ATDC". In other words, if you set the piston stop (long reach plug) against the piston while the flywheel reads approximately 20 degrees ATDC, then rotate it clockwise until it hits the piston stop again, you would expect to have the piston stop/hit the tool at 20 degrees BTDC if all is well….

discoboater
      Participant

AHHH !! I see. That was going to bring me to my next question; Yesterday after installing the new starter, I attempted this step of the sync. I actually took a picture of the flywheel after I marked it.

Now Im going to recheck it…..I used a long plug, turned the flywheel past the tdc mark (clockwise) by about an inch or so, installed the plug, then turned the flywheel counterclockwise til it hit the plug, marked the flywheel, then turned clockwise til it hit again, re marked, then used a measuring tape to measure the distance, divided in half. I mistakenly thought that the arrow was supposed to line up with my "middle" mark. It of course didnt, but was because thats not where the starting point was. I get it now, and though im pretty sure its right, am going to recheck. Im also looking to move on to the next step.
        However, something I discovered yesterday may be a big clue. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had just changed the plugs. When I pulled the plugs to do this test I noticed all the nearly new plugs were pretty filthy. One however looked so clean, Im not sure if has even been firing ? It was cylinder #3 (directly below #1) I have a pic showing the plug,

and also one showing the #1 plug,

which is what the other 4 look like. Im hoping someone can shed some light on this please. I also got a hold of one of those micro syringe deals from walgreens, so I can check the recirc valves. Thanks again

Attachments:

discoboater
        Participant

pics are out of order ..sorry

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Again, the easiest way to check TDC on your engine is to turn the flywheel past TDC to about the 20 degree ATDC mark. Then screw the long reach plug in until it hits the piston at this point…Now, turn the flywheel clockwise until it hits again on the other side of the grid…All is well if it hits the plug at 20 degrees BTDC +/- a few degrees…
            Kinda hard to tell if that plug is firing or not…Clean it up along with the #1 plug, then swap em….We will see what it looks like after you run it again…
            Once you have confirmed TDC is OK/close enough, we can talk by phone to do the rest of the sync procedures…D

discoboater
            Participant

I managed to recheck, it came out exactly on. I hadent yet read the above post, I ended up going off the 12 mark on the flywheel, either way it came out perfect, so on to the throttle cable adjustment. I will clean up the plugs, swap em and see what happens next time out/running. Im hoping after work this evening I will have some time to wrench. I will either call or update later this evening if I get a chance.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so TDC is OK….
                Give me a call anytime today/tonight…
                Don
                401-573-3025

discoboater
                Participant

Thanks Don ! Im super busy today and tomorrow with work, but Im eager to knock out as much of the sync as I can on sunday, hopefully a test outing on monday. I will get at you on sunday. my #970 401 1227, just so you know who is calling, as I personally never answer unknown calls.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, will keep my phone close on Sunday…Don

discoboater
                    Participant

Thanks Don, I just finished re reading the sync instructions and am hoping to give this a shot in a few. However, one thing Im curious about. Im really wondering if I have the correct plug in there. The original Johnson manual shows the correct application as Champion QUL77V or UL77v. The motor came with champion L77JC4 plugs, which I replaced with the same part #. I did a cross reference check on that original part#, I found out that the plug Im currently using doesnt seem to be listed anywhere in the cross reference. The alternate part# that came up was QL76v (champ) it also listed several others by brand, but L77JC4 was not one of them. Should I switch em out ? or is the plug that Im currently running ok ?

dan-in-tn
                      Participant

US Member

Still alive! Anything after 1986 can run the QL77JC4 (or just L77JC4). The head design changed to allow a J gap plug. The surface gap plugs will be too cold &’cause fouling problems. Don’t go there! I think you are getting real close to closing this one out. Don’t forget to keep the engine cover (top) level with the water line while idling around. It makes a huge difference in idle quality. After you start to speed up as you leave a no wake zone just trim under to take off. It becomes second nature. Same thing when you come off plane. Back up to level. If your trim gauge works just note position on gauge. It all becomes automatic with practice. It really helps the drain system work better & exhaust relief work better (two little holes in mid section) at water level. Don will care you thru! Gotta take a nap now.

Dan in TN

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 63 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.