Home Forum Ask A Member TD 15 Question and Intro

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cliff
    Participant

Hello, new member here. Inherited my father’s Johnson 5 HP TD 15 (open rope pulley, no recoil starter) 30 years ago. Have used it since I was a tyke. Sat unused and I went to look it over and find that it is in good shape except for the lower end. Had some water down there, most everything cleaned up well except the long vertical drive shaft and the lower end seals.
      The drive shaft has "pockets" from rust right at the seal wear area.
      The seals are of course no good.
      I can fix the shaft (unless I can buy a good used one) with epoxy but I need to have the seals replaced.
      I haven’t figured a good way to do the seals myself (I’m a licensed aircraft mechanic so I have some experience).
      Biggest question- is there anyone out there who has the seals and ability to change them for me?
      I live in the boonies so I need to ship it away to get fixed.
      Thanks for any help
      I also have a very good older Evinrude 3 HP that runs great.
      Nice forum, have been reading a lot recently.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I don’t have a TD-15 parts book, but if we dare (?) assume it is the same as TD-20, the seals are part number 41-62, replaced by 307563, replaced by 0321788, or Sierra Marine 18-2032. Easy enough to find, and surely an aircraft mechanic should be able to do the job.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

They are not hard to pry out. Be careful not to damage the housing. Be sure there are no sharp edges around the shear pin hole that could damage the new seal. If you had access to a lathe you could turn down the damaged part and press on a sleeve to be turned down to standard size. Pressing in the new seal only requires it be square with the hole. Easily done with a length af PVC pipe the size of the outside diameter of the seal. . . . 😉

smokeonthewater
          Participant

[*]

Here is my 194? Pre war TS 20. In my research, I have found TD models to have the recoil, and TS models had the rope sheve. I wonder if it is possible yours originally had a recoil. I put a TD 20 water pump In There, it works great. Pretty sure our motors are 98% TD 20 besides the fuel cap (smaller), starting mechanism, (rope sheve) and paint job (silver) it’s a fun motor, enjoy!

reivertom
            Participant

US Member

I’d bet a later TD20 shaft will be the same part, I’m just guessing though. If it is, you can find those motors and parts everywhere cheap…..I have a TS15 just like yours and need a fuel cap…Mine is a project for next summer hopefully.

cliff
              Participant

Sorry for the delay I’ve been in getting new knees Out of service for another 4 weeks.

I think the recoil starter is a direct replacement for the rope pulley. The drive shaft probably is also (after much learning being done). Mine was always a rope pulley. My Dad bought it knew before WWII. Has always been in the family.

Great to have the part numbers THANKS! I really want to have it running this summer. When I used it as a kid I could get it to idle at maybe 300 RPM REAL SLOW and this was at a lake at 7300′ above sea level.

With the bad area on the shaft way up where the top seal is, turning down and pressing won’t work. I can fill with epoxy and turn down though. Finding a good shaft may not be difficult as I found 2 just looking casually on ebay a while back

Great website to read on. Spend far too much time here 🙂

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

Welcome to our happy group – perhaps this will help with the age . . . or not
                  😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.