Home Forum Ask A Member TD 20 Lower Unit Lube

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    dline
    Participant

What grease should be put in the lower unit of a 1949 Johnson TD 20 5hp.

aquasonic
      Participant

US Member

Any 90W marine gear oil will work.

chuckw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I put Lubriplate 105 in all my non shift motors.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Corn head grease is apparently very good and inexpensive at your John Deere dealer

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Wheel bearing grease is designed for heavy duty highway use often involving high temperatures. Since this gearcase is water cooled, wheel bearing grease is much too thick. I like JohnDeere Corn Head Grease. 90 weight gear oil may be used if you have really great seals . . . 😀

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Wheel bearing grease is designed for heavy duty highway use often involving high temperatures. Since this gearcase is water cooled, wheel bearing grease is much too thick. I like JohnDeere Corn Head Grease. 90 weight gear oil may be used if you have really great seals . . . 😀

lindy46
                Participant

US Member

I was looking at the owner’s manual for my 1947 Evinrude Sportsman (which is direct drive) and it says "Always refill housing with S.A.E. 40 oil and NOT GREASE." When did they change from recommending grease? Or was it specific to year/make/model?

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

corn head grease apparently liquifies when ..working then gels up again after it stops working under load.

in any event don’t worry about it and use quality 90 grade marine products and recheck for leaks during mid season .I doubt a quality marine oil is cause for concern .

in 2015 TUBS wrote…
                    First if we are talking about early gear cases that aren’t
                    sealed there is more to consider than just the gears.
                    What you choose must be fluid enough to move through
                    the bearings or bushings as well but not so fluid that it
                    just runs out. The original lubricants are no longer
                    produced except for Lubraplate 105 although it is not
                    packaged as a gear case lub. any longer. John Deere
                    corn head grease is also an excellent substitute for the
                    lubricants. In gear cases that are sealed gear oil is the
                    best choice because it can easily get to the bearings or
                    bushings as well as protect the gears without leaking out.
                    If you have a sealed gear case and the seals have failed
                    that must be addressed.
                    If for some reason it can’t be repaired 105 or corn head
                    grease may be an option but if you can keep the water
                    out gear oil is always the best choice.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

aquasonic
                    Participant

US Member

Here is something that I posted awhile back:

I decided to have a look at my TD-20 manuals. One manual appears to be an early version and the other a later version. Under the ‘Lubrication and Care of the Gearcase’ section of the earlier manual it states:

"Fill with MOBILGREASE UW or SEA-HORSE GEAR LUBRICANT No. 2…" and "gear lubricant can be mixed with motor oil S.A.E. 30 or 40 to make it more fluid; this, however, necessarily will have to be left to the discretion of the operator."

The later version of the manual had a little bit different recommendation:

"Mobilube GX 90 is recommended for best operation. In the event this is not obtainable, use any good grade of S.A.E. 90 gear oil suitable for automotive hypoid gears. In case of an emergency where neither is available, it is permissible to use an S.A.E. 40 oil, but only until such time as the proper lubricant can be obtained. Note: Sea Horse Gear Lubricant #2 or Mobilgrease "UW" were previously recommended. Either the grease or the hypoid gear lubricant may be used with satisfaction."

So out of all of that, somewhere late in the production run, it looks as though Johnson decided that the brass and rubber "CR or Garlock" seals were good enough for 90W hypoid oil. Grease or 90W? I guess it comes down to personal satisfaction/availability. Both are correct.

I was also curious about the "GREASE" stamping at the filler plug that was discussed, so I checked out my TD-20’s downstairs. To my surprise, two of the TD’s had the filler plug on the Port side with no writing, and two of the TD’s had the filler plug on the Starboard side with the word "GREASE". All of the motors are 1947 models, and believed to be original gear cases.

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member

On old non-shift motors, I’ve used water-resistant wheel bearing grease that is marketed for boat trailer wheel bearings and comes in a grease-gun cartridge. It seems to be not as thick as automotive wheel bearing grease that comes in a plastic "dish" container. I’ve found different types out there. One type I bought was white colored like some Lubriplate offerings. One was a milky green that claimed to be Lithium-based grease.
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.