Home Forum Ask A Member Ted Williams by Sears

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant

Hello to all;

This motor calls to me, even though I don’t like these, or need it.
      It’s cheap, and not far away.

What can y’all tell me about Ted Williams motors made by Sears?
      I don’t know what I’d do with it; probably dump time and money into it and then hang it off the wall.
      I won’t be relying on it to get me home, or anything.
      It has one low cylinder; could be a gasket, or could be a hole in something important.

Are these cheaply made junk, or no?
      All opinions welcome.
      Many thanks, and happy motoring to all!
      Alan

Attachments:

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

I believe those were made by Scott Atwater.
        I have three of those on my rack. One is branded
        an Elgin, one a Scott, and not sure on the other.
        I have not worked on any of them yet, but I remember
        querying the board when I brought them home.
        Seems like someone said they were a "pain" to work
        on, and believe it was mentioned that the cooling lines
        were problematic. If I can find the old thread,
        I’ll post it.
        Found the thread…..
        viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4118&p=21104&hilit=1960+elgin#p21104

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Made by McCulloch. (McCulloch bought out Scott-Atwater). Some people love them, some hate them. You will quickly decide when you start working on it. Actually, they can run quite well.

Mumbles
          Participant

The low profile 7.5 and 9.5 horse motors are good runners but servicing them may test your patience.

On this 9.5 I have, someone drilled a bunch of holes and knocked out a section of the casting. Why, I don’t know. Maybe to get at the carb adjusting needles easier or to install a new fuel line. One bad point about them is the hoods. They are made of thin plastic, not fiberglass, and get brittle with age. Picking up the motor by the cover could be enough to break it. The one in your pics looks intact. Guard it with your life!

Attachments:

slim60
            Participant

Looks like you found one with a decent hood. That’s rare. You’ll have to pull the powerhead to do a carb. If you have a complete set of 1/4" sockets and small hands it won’t be hard. The 7.5 is a quick little motor at only 40 lbs. Make sure the anti-cav plate is submerged or it will overheat. (The one I had seemed too short for my Lund with a 15" transom). Both water pumps must work. Shift linkage changed between ’66 and ’67 with different exhaust housings. Look for a parts motor if you need any major parts. I saw one on an 8 foot dingy that looked like fun.

1-old-outboard
              Participant

I’m in the "same boat" (no pun intended)…

I just acquired a cute and pristine 1968 Ted Williams, I like it a lot, just no luck getting it to crank over.

So, I’m scouring these forums for all kinds of ideas. Y’all keep up the good information please. It’s helpful to find considering how old these outwards are.

I’m excited and so are my boys!!

( why is there a hose coming from that side? Or, what is that port for originally?)

Attachments:

ray-schaber
                Participant

The port with the hose is for bailing the boat.
                  Ray

amuller
                  Participant

I had and used one of those years ago. It started and ran reliably, with reasonable power, as I recall. Is not easy to work on with the powerhead buried down in that casting. And the dual pump business can be a pain. Aside from looks, the motor is very short and easy to carry in a vehicle for use with a cartop boat.

enrico-italy
                    Participant

This is my MC Culloch 9 hp.

I found it mint fifteen years ago, no need to work on it… I bought it as a collection piece, but I still use it sometimes… I really love his sound..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.