Home Forum Ask A Member Ted Williams Outboard

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    johnboland
    Participant

Greetings,
      I am rebuilding an old Ted Williams outboard but need information.
      The serial number is: 5A-175475
      Do you know how I can find:
      the year it was made
      oil to gas ratio
      spark plug gap
      where I can find parts
      Sure would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction about this.
      John Boland
      john@scent-sei.com

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Look for a model number that goes something like this: 217.xxxxx

johnboland
        Participant

Thank you for your quick response!
          The chassis number on the ID plate is 1997A
          Does this help me find something?
          This is the only other number I can find.

Mumbles
          Participant

The Sears Ted Williams motors were built by either McCulloch or Eska. There has to be a number on the ID plate starting with one of the following prefixes. How many horse is it and is it a Canadian built motor?

Attachments:

Indian Group Leader
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Johnboland,

I am not an expert on your outboard, but I am fairly certain that it is an ESKA outboard manufactured in 1974 for Sears in Canada. Rated at 5hp, it is an air-cooled motor; however, if it is similar to some I have worked on in the past, there is still a water pump impeller in the lower end that pushes water to the bottom of the powerhead to condense gases and to keep heat from building up under the top cowlings.

The last company that I dealt with that had manuals and parts for the ESKA outboard was Certified Parts Corporation in Janesville, Wisconsin. Perhaps they can help you out. This forum is probably not the best source for information on the ESKA outboard because nobody that I know collects the Tecumseh powered air-cooled motors from ESKA. I actually am guilty of having an "ESKA Toss" many years ago at a Lake Catherine wet meet because it was the only motor that would not anger one of our members when we threw one into the lake (not to worry, we had a rope on each motor and did not leave them in the lake). I had the opportunity to work on a number of these motors in the late 1990’s when I was laid off and needed some income to stay afloat (pun not intended). The one thing I recall is that the little motors ran well when they ran, but when they stopped, it was easier to take them to the scrap yard than it was to repair them. Even their carburetors were strange with a little balloon for a fuel pump. When that pops, the motor will no longer run from an external gas tank. If a new one is inserted at the incorrect angle, it still will not run.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions. Let me know how I can help out.

Tom

Mumbles
              Participant

Where’s that rope Tom or has this photo been ‘Shopped? 😀

Attachments:

amuller
                Participant

Some single-cylinder air cooled Sears outboards are Clintons. The relationship between Eska and Clinton isn’t totally straightforward, from what I know, but in general Eska used Tecumseh engines and Clinton made their own.

If it has been run much without water circulating up into the leg the lower crank seal may be cooked so that is something to check it it doesn’t run well, or at all.

There is a two cylinder water cooled model in 9.9/15 hp–I’d consider this a different class of motor.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.