Home Forum Ask A Member Test for the "pointless" coils in a Gamefisher/Force

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

I recently converted my 1991 GameFisher 9.9 to coils/points ignition. It originally had the "pointless" coil system and was only sparking on one cylinder when I acquired it. Now that I have running I would like to find a new owner for the old coils as I have been told they are hard to find. I am wondering if the normal multimeter test for coils works for these little weirdos or if I need to test them in some other manner. I did the "normal" test and they read the same on my meter.

bullie
      Participant

Apparently there is no test. LOL A guy at church has a 15 Gamefisher he asked me to look at for him. I am afraid it has the same issue as my 9.9 mentioned above and a bad head gasket. His also had weak spark on one cylinder.

I sat down with my old mag plate today and attempted to test them with my multimeter as I would an OMC coil. Both tested out the same though I know one of them is definitely bad. I was hoping to figure out which of my coils was good so I could swap it to my friend’s motor. I forgot I had already tried to test them.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

There is a test. Either they work or they don’t work. At least that’s the way it is with their smaller motors.

bullie
          Participant

And usually not it seems. Or, half the time anyway. I wish I had written "good" and "bad" on the coils when I removed them. Seems so simple a child would think to do it.

I may recommend that he convert it to points like I did mine. It works very well now.

amuller
            Participant

How did you do the points conversion? I have one of these motors with dead ignition, which I understand is common.

bullie
              Participant

It’s a simple mag plate swap out. You will need the mag plate, points, condensers, and cam from an earlier motor. Mine came from a 69 Chrysler 9.9 if I remember correctly. You will have to swap some parts back and forth to get things working properly but it was all simple enough that even I could do it. I had to drill holes in the plate for the kill switch wires as the older motors didn’t have that feature, but that was the only modification I remember making. My Gamefisher ran so well afterward that I had to make the kill switch work again, as it just didn’t want to shut down.

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What were your meter readings?

bullie
                  Participant
                    quote Jeff Register:

What were your meter readings?

With my meter set at x1K Ohms I get 4 on both the spark plug leads and 10 on the other leads.

bullie
                    Participant

My friend’s 15. It looks a good bit different than my 9.9. These coils are not riveted like on my motor. Maybe replaceable?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.