Home Forum Ask A Member Testing a coil and CDI Box?

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    shane-r13
    Participant

So i’ve been out of town for a week or so but i’m back at trying to diagnosis my no spark issue. So I’ve done some reading an read about the trigger coil. So i said why not test it since i haven’t yet. Of course I’m not really sure what i’m looking for when testing it. My trigger coil has two wires coming out of it plus a ground.

I Dont know what any of these readings are supposed to tell me so any help or direction to understanding it would be great.
      Side note, does anyone know the gap between the trigger and flywheel should be on this motor?

I also took my CDI box off and was inspecting it and removed the wire cover. I found a wire coming from CDI box that wasnt attached to anything. Although it looks like it is supposed to be that way as i have no other wires missing a connection etc. Any idea as to why the extra wire?

As always thanks for any help!
      Shane

Attachments:

frankr
      Participant

US Member

At this point, I’d say you have to go high tech and get a DVA meter or DVA adapter and check the peak voltage coming from the power pack. A common multimeter cannot do that without the DVA adapter.

shane-r13
        Participant

I suppose your right. I’ve put an ad out in my local area to see if i can borrow one. Although i’ll probably end up buying one online I just don’t want to wait for shipping.

shane-r13
          Participant

Just another thing to add, Ive tested both coils under the flywheel. The one i believe is the trigger coil is around 3 volts on the AC setting of my meter. The other is around 8Volts on AC setting of meter. While i know its basically useless information without a DVA, They still seem rather low voltages.

Shane

debe
            Participant

You can make your own Peak voltage adaptor to test the HV & Trig coils. This is what I use & its shown testing a set of CDI coils at cranking speed. The HV coil is generating 70V & the Trig coil 5V aprox.

shane-r13
              Participant

Well an update folks.

I have ordered a DVA adapter and will post my trigger and other voltages when i get it.

Also got ripped off by some guy on a classified site. Lesson learned don’t send a partial payment for a motor.

Shane

cajuncook1
                Participant

Shane, I found these regarding Suzuki/Spirit information. Some from Suzuki outboard and some from Spirit snowmobile.

shane-r13
                  Participant

Awesome! Should come in very handy. I’ve searched high and low looking for info online. Much appreciated!

Shane

cajuncook1
                    Participant
                      quote Shane.R13:

Awesome! Should come in very handy. I’ve searched high and low looking for info online. Much appreciated!

Shane

It is a Free service and open to public and LOADED with helpful Information, Manuals, Service data etc..!

Go to: http://search.ebscohost.com/

User Name: springfieldmb

Password: volunteer

—–Go under the Small Engine Repair Reference Center

—–Then select Marine/Boat motors or snowmobiles.

Scroll through the list of makers/manufacturers

Search by type, brand, etc. They are all in PDF format so you can save them for future refference….

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.