Home Forum Ask A Member testing a motor without a prop

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    burnt-clutch
    Participant

Would I hurt anything by running my HD25 or TN28 in a test barrel without a prop? I only have a 10 gallon barrel and I want to see how much water their impellors are pumping, but I’m afraid that all of the water slushing around is keeping them from getting a good flow. I pulled the plug out of the back of my HD25 yesterday and I only saw a trickle of water coming out of the back of the head when it was at mid range speed.
      -Karl

seakaye12
      Participant

US Member

Just don’t rev them up too much and you will be ok.

When a shop runs an outboard in their test tank at full throttle….they do so using special "test Props" which are designed to simulate the load of a conventional prop but "no splash"…..

outboard315
        Participant

It is not recommended but I believe if you keep it below half throttle you should be ok. With the JW motors they changed props to stop them from over revving on light canoes.

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

The higher RPM in the "no load" situation tends to lean out the mixture. It may be adjusted for a perfect slow speed idle, but sneeze and stop when shifted into neutral. An 1/8 turn to the rich on the idle adjustment will keep it from sneezing, but may result in a less than perfect idle in gear. Outboards are built on compromises. Cheap – Dependable – Fast – pick any two . . . 😆

Pete
            Participant

US Member

Ok but keep the revs low and do it as quick as possible till you see what you want.

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

No prop is not much different than revving up a gearshift motor in neutral, except most motors limit how far up you can run the throttle.
                Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.